Changing door to window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone give me any idea what would be best to change a door to a window. Its a old concrete house old pit house and the door is approx 3ft the old door was wood.

Do I clover the gap with wood or brick with cavity?

Sponsored Links
Do I clover the gap with wood or brick with cavity?
Externally, you would be ok with a concrete block and render, assuming your concrete house is rendered, yes? We would fix half a wall-starter on each jamb and use fibolites etc.

The inner leaf and subsequent cavity will be determined by the overall thickness of your walls. We always hack off the jamb plastering to expose the masonry. We would either fix a wall starter up each jamb or knock in some long galv nails into the existing masonry, to tie in.

If there is an amount of cavity remaining fill it with whatever thickness of dritherm cavity insulation is suitable.

Leave tie wires hanging out of the external course so you can tie in with the internal course.

Don't forget DPC on both leaves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back