Changing flat layout- how to inform other freeholders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I recently purchased a share of freehold 1 bed flat in a 4 story house conversion which has a rather awkward layout at present.
The kitchen is at the back and is huge- I want to swap the location of this with the bathroom which is in the middle, removing a stud partition wall to create an open plan lounge/kitchen and a second bedroom at the back.

I have written to the council and have planning consent approved, but does anyone know how much I have to tell the other freeholders about my plans and are they able to prevent me from doing this work?

I have read elsewhere that a deeds of alteration is needed but involves a solicitor- could anyone confirm if this route is needed or can I email the other freeholders and tell them what my plans are this way? Do I need to inform anyone else? What's the best way to word this so I am telling them what I am doing rather than asking their permission and giving them the chance to say no?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
As you're just going for a change of layout, a deed of alteration isn't applicable, as you're not changing anything in the deeds. You've got a share of the freehold, so you only need to advise the owners that you're going to do some changes, but as long as you're not knocking any walls down, or making structural changes to the flat (I don;t think a stud wall is important), they shouldn't be able to veto anything. If you're flat doesn't have a very good layout, then the others may decide to follow your ideas.

Many thanks for the response. As I'm moving the kitchen to the front of the flat plumbing would need to be move so I guess they would need to know about that? Also oven which could be a fire hazard? What would happen when I come to sell the flat in the future and the plans are different to the new layout? Do you know how I would get the new plans officially registered? Thanks again.

When selling a house the plans are drawn up by the estate agent, they are not kept on record or file for the next sale.

Sponsored Links
A cooker is not a fire hazard unless installed badly, and the waste from the sink is irrelevant unless you want to run the waste out of the front of the house, as it can't go into the surface drains. I'm surprised you needed planning consent for the layout, but you will need building consent to approve the new works are done properly.

You really are worrying about the wrong things; you have a share of the freehold, so have certain rights, and this is just an internal layout issue, nothing more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back