Getting permission from freeholder for changes...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a flat to renovate and the lease states that approval must be sought for certain items such as lifting floorboards to replace/lay new cable.

I've written to the freeholder 2 weeks ago and not heard back. The others in the building tell me he's very awkward and it's taken them an age to get responses from him in the past. I phoned him today and he tells me he's dealing with it but is very busy.

It states in the lease that approval must not be unreasonably delayed or withheld and I need it in order to carry on with the renovations.

Are there any property experts who can advise me of the best way forward? I'm reluctant to risk aggravating him, but need to get this renovation moving.

Sponsored Links
Find out how reasonable "reasonable" is, then write a firm but polite letter asking for this permission, stating that you will expect a reply within X days, as this is reasonable.

Hallo, Sara...welcome to the site.

The term "unreasonably" can be a pretty woolly concept in lease terms. I would think two weeks is sufficient time for the freeholder to have responded.

It might be worth checking out the Leasehold Advisory Service. They are a public body, I think that they are part of the Dept of Environment. Alternatively, you could try CARL who are more an action group and run by volunteers, so it might take a while to get a response.

Good kuck in anycase. ;)

Sponsored Links
The lease holder, and possibly the courts could ask you to re-instate the property to its former condition.

Sarah, first of all, Welcome to the forum.
Send a request for permission by 'Recorded Delivery' to the particular person, not to an organisation. 2 weeks is a reasonable time for a reply but make sure you tell him/her EXACTLY what you want to do and why. If he/she doesn't respond within 2 weeks seek the advice of a solicitor.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

Back