A Shared Bit Of News From A Dear Friend

Reaction score
Country
Palau
A friend of mine, that worked with me for years contacted me again today.

He is very upset as his wife has left him, she left him a few weeks ago and only told me initially a couple of days ago. They'd been married close to 40 years and been together for from school.

When we met last time just before lockdown at a party he told me he'd taken slightly early retirement and was getting bored all alone at home. I told him to join some group/charity, get a dog etc. He said he wanted his wife to leave work as well and she is a few years younger than him and could easily take early retirement as they are comfortable, kids all married several grandkids but all live far away.

The guy likes a lol and as we were talking I said "you sure she's not got a younger man...lol" he laughed but his face turned sad. I apologised he said not to worry as he'd say the same to me re my OH. He was baffled why she would not leave work so they could both go on more hols/breaks, soend more time with family, etc etc and all she said is she got bored easily, likes her job - we both agreed fair enough. I said ask her to go PT but he said she won't...

Anyways we had a good time at the meet/party but his wife was not there she was at a friends party/birthday

When he called me (i did not call him as not wanting to revisit the hurt or be nosey) and
started taking about him begging her to return, that hurt me but could see him where he was coming from. But she said no and blamed him for being boring/set in his ways and all that rubbish. The guy I'd know for years at work was a nice family-oriented man that loved his wife and never had a bad word for her or her family/friends. He would always talk about her lovingly, do more than his fair share of cooking/housework imo.

I told him that when people cheat/deceive their loved one, they will say anything to justify their evil ways. He is devasted and the children have been around and stayed over the weekend.

I said to him that in the back of my mind when he said his wife would not leave work as discussed, she may be cheating on him but I could not say that without proof.

I sought his consent to tell my OH and warn others what to look out for as no one wants to be cheated on and deception is nasty, he agreed. What hurts the most was that the deceit had been going on for about ten years and all of the telltale signs were there when he thinks about it, EG, constantly texting, keeping the phone close to her and locked and in recent years out a lot more with so-called friends and dressing up more than before and say no more often in bed. A couple of years ago the wife suggested that she'd go on hols with friends and he should do the same. Younger people do that but not our age group, not as often.

People will cheat for whatever reason and most will blame their OH fro driving them into the cheating, decit etc and rarely admit that they were just nasty.

Why can't people be honest and tell their OH that it is no longer working and they need to go their own way and find someone else as it may hurt initially but not as much as finding by dragging it out or some other evidence?

Before anyone says this, you don't who my friend is, where they live etc, etc and he said it was ok to share without names.

I don't know what I'd do if I found out my OH was deceiving me and had been for some time.
I've had offers when I worked, that made me feel good as others stil wanted me and made me feel bad in saying no to them but I love my OH and do not want them to cheat on me so why should I do the nasty on them.

I'd go and see the guy but he lives in the north of the uk.

Sponsored Links
I disagree.

She was younger and may well have wanted to carry on working.

I know my missus would.

I've suspected for some time now that my wife has been having an affair. The usual signs. Phone rings, I answer, someone hangs up. She started going out 'with the girls' a lot recently although when I ask which girls it is always "Just some friends from work, you don't know them". I always look out for her taxi coming home but she always walks down the drive although I can hear a car setting off. As if she has got out of the car round the corner. Why? Is it not a taxi? I once picked her mobile up just to see what time it was and she went beserk and screamed that I should never touch her phone again and why was I checking up on her.

Anyway, I have never approached the subject with her. I think deep down I just didn't want to know the truth but last night she went out again and I decided to check on her. I decided I was going to hide behind my car which would give me a view of the whole street so I could see which car she gets out of.

I need some advice.

It was whilst crouched behind my car that I noticed some rust starting around my rear wheel arch. Should I take it into a body repair shop or should I buy some stuff from Halfords and try to repair it myself?

Last edited:
I disagree.

She was younger and may well have wanted to carry on working.

I know my missus would.

True but she cheated.

On of my siblings does not want to leave work and her hubby has left work at 53 and sis is a bit younger. They have fallen out over that.
sis states she loves her job, mates and the weekend seems like a weekend though she loves hols.

Too many people are fearful of leaving work as they may get bored and if married/together they fear getting bored with each other losing friends, contactd and life being miserable.

We are lucky we could leave work early by many years but do fear running low on money, though we have a fair bit the wealth is not growing but level but when we worked our money grew

The point is, why do people lie, why not be honest. Yep, easier said than done but to be cheated on for years is very hurtful.

TBH, me and my OH have had big arguments since we have both been at home and I don't like it when he is off with his mates as i dont really have friends as i don't trust almost anyone but there is not a lot i can do. My OH now invites me but i dont like his best mates.

TBH, I do check his phone as we share the same passwords and he has access to mine and what put my mind at rest was that a few months back i saw him checking my phone ie showing me he cares. I thought getting older lessen the worry of cheating but these days older people that have been together fro many years surprise everyone :(

Sponsored Links
I need some advice.

Should I take it into a body repair shop or should I buy some stuff from Halfords and try to repair it myself?

I think you know the answer...
Leave it too long it goes rusty, she's gone for a bit of maintenance.

There are always two sides to the story. Relationship need investment and nurturing, you cannot expect someone to stand by a life long commitment if you don’t put the effort in. If you analyse marriage logically it is the craziest idea two people can have. He needs to move on with divorcing her. It’s a simple process and can be done in less than a year without blame.

I’m afraid he has more bad news to come, once she takes him for 50% of everything. At least her working status and his retired status will give some defence to a maintenance claim.

divorce law is still largely based on 1970s marital concepts.

TBH, I do check his phone as we share the same passwords and he has access to mine and what put my mind at rest was that a few months back i saw him checking my phone ie showing me he cares. I thought getting older lessen the worry of cheating but these days older people that have been together fro many years surprise everyone :(

Trust is the most basic & fundamental foundation of ANY relationship. Where there is no trust there is no relationship.

TBH, I do check his phone as we share the same passwords and he has access to mine and what put my mind at rest was that a few months back i saw him checking my phone ie showing me he cares.
I'd say going on that, you both don't trust each other. Fact.

TBH, me and my OH have had big arguments since we have both been at home and I don't like it when he is off with his mates as i dont really have friends as i don't trust almost anyone but there is not a lot i can do. My OH now invites me but i dont like his best mates.
You do surprise me!

Can those being horrible not be horrible.
Humanitarian has just started a thread. If you can't be nice then tell us what you have had for breakfast

My mates mrs left him last week said she was going out for a pint of milk and he has not seen her since .
i asked him last night how he was coping .
He said not too bad i found some of that powdered stuff in the cupboard

The mrs has been missing for two weeks now .
Just had the police around and they have told me to expect the worst .
i better nip up town and get her clothes back from the charity shop ;)

Sponsored Links
Back