changing fluorescent tubes for led tubes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im thinking of changing the tubes in the garage of which there are 4. It is currently 5ft 65w tubes which are FAT! (T12 going by my research) and the ones im thinking of putting in are T8.

I read the gap between pins is the same, is it is easy as swapping them out?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes. You just replace the tube and the starer for LED equivalents. Thats it.

I am personally of the opinion that T8 LED tubes aren't really economically viable yet (perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places) but all the ones I've looked at have been very expensive.

I'm all for LED lighting, just not sure flouro replacements are there yet. I'd be looking at putting a fitting designed with LED in mind, Philips make some LED battens (and I'm sure others do too) but they are also ££££

Sponsored Links
do flouro tube actually use much anyway? I looked at this before and was about 10-15w of difference between a 4 or 5 foot T8, with the LED tube being nearly 20 times dearer.

All for energy saving, but I though my money would be better spent getting rid of halogens for LED

well a 5ft T8 is 58W so you get a twin fitting that's 116w

Or a 2ft T8 is 18W so the 600x600 fittings with 4 are 72w

The magnetic choke versions are ridiculously inefficient, the HF ones are better, but still not as good as LED

Ive mixed my numbers up then, didnt think the flourecents used that much

Do your fittings have starters

If not they use ballasts and there likely not compatible with led tubes

Good point. I never thought about fititngs that old, but they could well be seeing as they are T12 tubes.

The LED ones I have seen are directional i.e. they light below the tube but do not give much spread to the sides whereas a normal fluoro lights 360° around the tube giving a better spread.

it does, but it also bypasses the ballast (with no mention of rewiring the fitting)

from that site:

0111111.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back