Changing from single radiator to double. : Bridging the gap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've seen this question asked a few times around the web but those who answer don't seem to 'get' the question.
I swapped out my single convection rad and have replaced it with a double convection rad. Naturally (or so I find the hard way) the distance between where the pipe used to enter the single radiator and where it now needs to meet the double radiator has increase some 3 or 4cm. there is no play in the pipe which would allow me to pull it from the wall so I am left thinking what best to do to resolve.
What can I do to bridge the gap?

My own improvisation following unsuccessfull investigation is to join 2 speedfit stem elbows. 1 joining the pipe on the wall and coming away from the wall (imagine an L shape laid down on the floor) the other would attach to the first and go up into the TRV (imagine L shape standing up from the floor).
Would this be an ok solution?

On a side note I only seem to be able to find plastic stem elbows (screwfix/b&q). Are they ok to connect to a)copper pipe b) TRV.

Great site BTW and thanks in advance.

ps sorry about the imagination bit, hope it made sense :)

Sponsored Links
would use one stem elbow, then a normal elbow with a stub of copper going from normal elbow to trv

if that makes sense!!

pushfit to copper, no problems

Thanks glasgowgas. Out of interest and being as it's my own way of resolving the problem, do you happen to know if there are any other bendy parts one would use for the job or is that pretty much the best way around the problem. I did find some flexipipe from JG which was a winner until I read that it's only for taps. Was kinda hoping for something similar for use with rads.

i personally would repipe in copper but im a htg engineer,its my job!!!!

but the solution you have come up with, will do the job no problems

might look a wee bit unsightly as pushfit elbows are a bit cumbersome,

but definetly go for trv, then stub of copper, then stem elbow then system pipework ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back