Changing Juliet Balcony Doors to Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had French doors fitted to a first-floor bedroom in anticipation of having a balcony installed. However, due to a change in circumstances, I may not install the balcony after all (it might be something I do in the future though) and I'm looking for a way of making the doors safe and compliant with building regulations.

I was thinking of permanently locking the doors and replacing the handles with blanking plates so that the doors cannot be opened (there are no handles installed on the outside anyway). Does this sound reasonable and is there a well-known approach to doing this?

Sponsored Links
No you need a barrier, or a more convincing way of permanently preventing the doors from opening.

Is there an alternative escape window?

Hi,

I've had French doors fitted to a first-floor bedroom in anticipation of having a balcony installed. However, due to a change in circumstances, I may not install the balcony after all (it might be something I do in the future though) and I'm looking for a way of making the doors safe and compliant with building regulations.

I was thinking of permanently locking the doors and replacing the handles with blanking plates so that the doors cannot be opened (there are no handles installed on the outside anyway). Does this sound reasonable and is there a well-known approach to doing this?

As per Woodcutter.

We have fitted a fair few JB's now and they have all been a right pain in the arris. The whole fixing process needs signing off as well as the balcony itself. This means the fixings, their pull-out force numbers, fixing proximity to the jambs, rail height, rail spacings etc, etc.

Internal barrier, equivalent to a wall, with a minimum height suitable for the application? Also means you can still open the door for ventilation.

If the doors open inwards, site the barrier such that the door still complies with egress requirements if it has to. Tell your BI your notion and they'll yay or nay it

Sponsored Links
No you need a barrier, or a more convincing way of permanently preventing the doors from opening.

Is there an alternative escape window?
Yes, there's another pair of French doors and there will be a balcony for these.

As per Woodcutter.

We have fitted a fair few JB's now and they have all been a right pain in the arris. The whole fixing process needs signing off as well as the balcony itself. This means the fixings, their pull-out force numbers, fixing proximity to the jambs, rail height, rail spacings etc, etc.
I would prefer to be able to semi-permanently secure the doors - it just made sense to me that if the sash can be secured, it's logically the same as framed glass. I can always apply for the balcony again but the people involved are "unreasonable" if you get my drift.

Internal barrier, equivalent to a wall, with a minimum height suitable for the application? Also means you can still open the door for ventilation.

If the doors open inwards, site the barrier such that the door still complies with egress requirements if it has to. Tell your BI your notion and they'll yay or nay it
Sorry, I thought I'd answered the original question about egress but I can't have clicked on "Post Reply" - I've done so now. There's another pair of French doors which *will* have a balcony. I need to arrange a visit from the BI anyway so I'll ask them then about a suitable internal barrier - sounds a lot easier than a JB based on what noseall said about his experience fitting them.

Oh, if you have another egress then for starts I'd ask the BI about doing your lock&blank idea

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back