changing kitchen doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A complete novice at this diy so a couple of quick questions if i hire a joiner he looks like hes going to howdens to get the doors etc.
1)Do i pay him to get them or do i just pay at the end of the job whats the normal procedure.
Next question this is my oven

2)Is there a way i can get a black gloss door hinged to the trim or is it to thin .I need it to go cover the oven all the way to the floor.
I am still playing with different ideas there is so many decisions to make.AARRGHH
This has been a very useful form so probably many questions to follow.

Sponsored Links
You can get him to give you a price for the job, Howdens may give him a discount which he may or may not pass on to you. Can't cover an oven up, dangerous, can't think of any reason you would want to and how would you make the door handle on the oven disappear.?

Is your worry handing over money to someone to go and buy the doors etc before the job is done? If so, as Foxhole said, get a quote, or two. The carpenter should tell you his terms and conditions but don't be surprised if he asks for materials money.
If you were building an extension you would expect to pay the contractor as he goes. So it is reasonable to expect that a one man business may ask for a deposit to cover the cost of materials. If he is reputable and you feel you can trust him I see nothing wrong with that. After all you will probably be a stranger to him too so why should he buy your materials and finance the job, wait until the job is done and your happy, before he gets his material cost back. It is trust both ways, but if still worried, if your chosen guy is a proper tradesman he wont mind you going to Howden or wherever to make the material payments yourself. You will own the goods then.

And re the oven, nothing combustible on, around or over it. Oven will also require air flow so you cant block that.

All the best with your job.

Cheers steve for that info realistically can i ask do you have a daily rate or just charge per job.I have never used a joiner before so dont know how much is fair.Any other questions etc i should be asking be greatfully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You could probably do it yourself. Just google "replacement kitchen doors" and it will return hundreds of results. Measuring your doors and drawer fronts is fairly straightforward, as is measuring the placement of the holes for hinges etc. ;) ;)

You could always ask a joiner/kitchenfitter to have a look and measure up for you, then you order the doors and have him back to fit them, once they've arrived. ;) ;)

And re the oven, nothing combustible on, around or over it. Oven will also require air flow so you cant block that.

Hmmmm Steve, being as most built under ovens usually go into a housing made of MFC, I wouldn't say that no combustible materials can go around , or over it. Ovens should be fully insulated to prevent heat transfer to adjacent units anyway. ;) ;)

Cheers for the info but can anyone tell me what is a daily rate for a joiner or does he give an estimate inc labour.

Any joiner should be able to give you a quote for labour only (personally I'd buy the doors/drawer fronts myself.) That way, you know he's not making extra on any markup on the cost of the doors etc. ;) (prepares to be shot down in flames by "Honest Joe now") ;) ;)

One of the joiners has actually shown me how much the doors will be with his discount from howdens but can you tell me what is a fair daily rate as i really havnt got a clue.

Hmmmm Steve, being as most built under ovens usually go into a housing made of MFC, I wouldn't say that no combustible materials can go around , or over it. Ovens should be fully insulated to prevent heat transfer to adjacent units anyway. ;) ;)

Point taken, I just went cold at the thought of a cooker door being covered in wood.
I am used to fitting free standing range cookers with my made to measure kitchens, even though they too are insulated they still require a small air gap each side. I stand corrected :unsure:

Any joiner should be able to give you a quote for labour only (personally I'd buy the doors/drawer fronts myself.) That way, you know he's not making extra on any markup on the cost of the doors etc. ;) (prepares to be shot down in flames by "Honest Joe now") ;) ;)

I wont shoot you down as I would go along with what you say, better he buy the materials. I would mark up on the materials at least a bit if I am instructed to get them. After all, not only do you have to get them or arrange delivery and payment you are ultimately responsible for them, any faults, hinges failing, veneer front of door lifting etc, and you have to put that right at your own cost. been there, got that Tshirt. :)

I am used to fitting free standing range cookers with my made to measure kitchens, even though they too are insulated they still require a small air gap each side. I stand corrected :unsure:

Built-in ovens have an air gap too, inside the carcass. Convection removes the small amount of heat leaked via the service gap.

I wont shoot you down as I would go along with what you say, better he buy the materials. I would mark up on the materials at least a bit if I am instructed to get them. After all, not only do you have to get them or arrange delivery and payment you are ultimately responsible for them, any faults, hinges failing, veneer front of door lifting etc, and you have to put that right at your own cost. been there, got that Tshirt. :)

Well Steve, swings and roundabouts really. If the customer buys the doors himself, then anything goes wrong with the doors, the customer can then take it up with the supplier. Perhaps I'm a bit reticent about buying stuff for customers (having been done a few times in the past).
My upstairs neighbour did his kitchen up last year with doors bought over the internet. I measured up for him and gave him a complete list of exactly what to order. When they were delivered, I gave him a hand to replace the doors, and drilled the doors for the handles, but the job was well within his capability (and his DIY skills are almost non existent) I did fit the drawer fronts for him (a bit more involved) but nothing anyone with a few skills couldn't do. ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back