Changing looped pendant light from Rose to one without connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of changing a basic rose pendant light to a new fitting and have a question about how to handle a connected light. Please forgive me or ask clarifying questions if I've got anything wrong here - I'm very new to any electrical work.

I have changed out the old dining room pendant for the new one, but it looks as though the sitting room light was connected through a loop via the dining room light (controlled by the same switch), and the new pendant for the dining room does not have enough connectors to loop in the living room. So now my new dining room light works, but the sitting room does not work as it is no longer connected.

As you can see from the attached photos, I have the extra cable coming down which has nowhere to go in the new pendant.

I'd like to find out what the best way to handle this is? There seems to be a fair bit of room in the new pendant housing to house connectors, I imagine what I need to do is buy some connectors to be able to link up the cable going to the living room light? Something like the Wago 224 connectors? Is that right? If so, which ones would I need, and would I need a junction box to house them, or can they just go loose in the pendant housing? I want to make sure to get it right as I'd read that there are regulations around this which can invalidate house insurance in case of an accident.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• new pendant.jpg
    new pendant.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 76
  • ceiling.jpg
    ceiling.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 74
  • wires.jpg
    wires.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
Connect both cables to their respective terminals in the new fittings connector block. I assume the second cable just feeds the other light fitting ,and both fittings are controlled by one switch ?
And your wiring is incorrect polarity.

Last edited:
You might want to line up the colours in the right connector?

Connect both cables to their respective terminals in the new fittings connector block. I assume the second cable just feeds the other light fitting ,and both fittings are controlled by one switch ?

Yeah, that's correct, the other cable just runs to the second light fitting and is controlled by the same switch.

Just to be clear on what you're saying the solution is, I can just run the two brown cables into the connector on the right, two yellow/green ones into the center, and the two blues into the right?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, that's correct, the other cable just runs to the second light fitting and is controlled by the same switch.

Just to be clear on what you're saying the solution is, I can just run the two brown cables into the connector on the right, two yellow/green ones into the center, and the two blues into the right?
No that's wrong polarity. Note the L and N markings !!

No that's wrong polarity. Note the L and N markings !!

Ah got it, my mistake. So I can run the two blue cables into the N connector, the two brown cables into the L connector and the two green/yellow ones into the middle one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back