Changing my Honeywell Heating controller?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had our dining room decorated and I would like to change my Central Heating Control Unit to something more modern.

Ihave this one below -

http://www.bhl.co.uk/product/HWELL_ST6300A_1007_24H_STD_PROGRAMMER

and would like to replace it with this -

http://www.honeywelluk.com/product.aspx?r=tco&p=2450

Is it just a straight swap? My control is rectangular but when you remove it it is just a square plate on the back so I'm presuming the new unit will be the same and just clip on that? This is quite important because we have wallpapered for the old unit.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

gilford

Sponsored Links
it'd be best to replace square wsall bracket too. You should find it is similar/same shape anyway.

The way the Honeywell site makes it sound, it should just be a clip off clip on scenario? No wiring needed?

The 9400 is a direct replacement for the 6300. Just un-clip the old one and replace it with the new one.

Then make a nice cup of tea, sit down and read the instruction manual. ;)

Sponsored Links
The 9400 is a direct replacement for the 6300. Just un-clip the old one and replace it with the new one.

Then make a nice cup of tea, sit down and read the instruction manual. ;)

so I just leave the back plate on and clip the 9400 on to it and it will work fine? No wiring needed?

So, in plain English before I spend £50.........

I unscrew the 2 bottom screws and unclip my 6300 from the back plate. Unbox the 9400 and just clip the face onto the 6300 back plate and all will work fine?

Sorry about this, but I am useless with electrics and don't want to fork out for a sparky to do what is essentially a decorative upgrade for my dining room :oops:

Sorry about this, but I am useless with electrics and don't want to fork out for a sparky to do what is essentially a decorative upgrade for my dining room :oops:
If you are useless with electrics, how are you going to test that it is all safe?

[
If you are useless with electrics, how are you going to test that it is all safe?

If the swap is done like I have mentioned above then no touching of any wires is required, it is simply just replacing the face, hence why I have asked the question :D

The back plate has contact connectors similar to a battery compartment which power the face you see.

I may be mistaken, but I thought the whole idea of using backplates with timers and programmers was that Joe Public could change the device without having to touch the wiring. Are you seriously saying that an electrician should be employed every time to undertake this simple task?

No, I am saying that people that qualify themselves as "useless with electrics" should not fart about with 230 volt.
A very significant number of timers are not wired up correctly, and if you have no clue about 230 V, you can easily change a poor install to a dangerous one.
On a number of occasions, I have stopped a heating repair because the state of the electrics was too dangerous to continue. Obviously something that householders like you would not recognise.

bengasman";p="1417770 said:
A very significant number of timers are not wired up correctly, and if you have no clue about 230 V, you can easily change a poor install to a dangerous one.
In that case the authorities should step in, ban the sale of programmers with backplates and regulate that all programmer changes should be carried out by qualified electricians and tested.

On a number of occasions, I have stopped a heating repair because the state of the electrics was too dangerous to continue.
I should hope so.

Obviously something that householders like you would not recognise.
I would probably recognise it sooner than you.

Thanks for all the help, it worked a treat and simply clicked on to the existing plate :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back