changing old fuse wired consumer box to rcd/mcb consumer box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am thinking of upgrading my old consumer (fuse wired) box for a new rcd/mcb type.
Could someone pleas give me a rough estimate as to what this would cost if done by qualified electrician.

thanks
tc

Sponsored Links
My old fuse box has six fuses in it, 2xred 2xblue & 2xwhite. Is this the info you need :confused: ?.

tc

Sponsored Links
diyfanatic said:
My old fuse box has six fuses in it, 2xred 2xblue & 2xwhite. Is this the info you need :confused: ?.

tc
Do you have a TT, TN-S or TN-C-S supply?
What size is your main bonding?
What state is your equipotential bonding in?
Does your lighting circuit have an earth?
How old is your existing wiring?
Do you have sockets that could reasonably be expected to supply outdoors?
Do you have any expansion plans, like electric showers, electric cooker?

I could probably come up with more questions given more than 30s.

It's not like changing a light switch, and unexpected things can arise, e.g. if you don't have an RCD right now, and you fit one, previously undetected faults might cause it to trip. You need to get people in to have a look and poke about and give you a quote.

thanks for the reply ban-all-sheds,

oh dear, i only wanted to change my consumer unit. Didn't realise how much was involved.

Do you have a TT, TN-S or TN-C-S supply?
how would i find this out ?

What size is your main bonding?
What state is your equipotential bonding in?
what's bonding ?

Does your lighting circuit have an earth?
I know when i fitted a celling fan in the living room there was an earth wire to attach.

How old is your existing wiring?
Not sure about this one, i have been in the house for 6 years.

Do you have sockets that could reasonably be expected to supply outdoors?
No this is why i want to upgrade the consumer unit, to have RCD protection, to have a small consumer unit off the new consumer unit to my shed.

Do you have any expansion plans, like electric showers, electric cooker?
There is already a shower fitted to the old consumer unit, looks a bit cowboy to me.

diyfanatic

as you said (and have now found out) there is more to it than just chnging a box.

best get an electrician in to do it for you.

but do get several quotes

Rough method of telling age of cable - is it stranded on lighting or power?

diyfanatic said:
oh dear, i only wanted to change my consumer unit. Didn't realise how much was involved.
Indeed.

So you need to decide how long you want to leave the job - should you get it done now by an electrician, or leave it until you've learnt about what's involved?

Hi all,

As much as would love to fit the new consumer unit,I definately wont be fitting it, there are M.E.B seals to where the mains comes in so i'm not gonna tamper there. I really was just wondering wether a new unit or convert old fuses to mcb's. But of course the latter way i would not have RCD protection for outdoors electrics.Hence my question for rough quote.

Thanks
diyfanatic

That's interesting, how would the Electrician isolate the supply when changing consumer units?

they just break the seals and pully the bloody service fuse

although true it is NOT recomemded practice for the DIY person

apparenly you have to be carefull on older serivce fuses because pulling the fuse can expose live parts in the holder

it does, also an electrician will carry out an "insulation resistance test" (amongest alll the other tests) first. this is part of the reason it is NOT reomended the diy person changes their consumers unit

install new sockets, lights cables yes, consumers unit, NO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back