Cost to replace consumer unit and old fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents have just been quoted £575 to replace their old fuse box with a new consumer unit with switch fuses and an RCD across all circuits. The electrician is fully qualified and says that the price includes testing of all existing wiring, installation and connection of the new box/switch fuses and RCD, and notification to the local authority. He suggests that this will take best part of a day to complete. I just wondered if this sounds a reasonable price. Another quote came in around £400 but there was no mention of testing all the existing wiring and my parents said they had more confidence in the other chap. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The charge will depend on number of circuits and ease of accessibility to the inspection and testing areas.
Document must be completed and issued with all CU changes, so I would ask the £400 quoter if they are issuing certificates, which include schedules of inspection and test results.
And you will require a dual RCD unit rather than a single RCD unit.

The charge will depend on number of circuits and ease of accessibility to the inspection and testing areas.
Document must be completed and issued with all CU changes, so I would ask the £400 quoter if they are issuing certificates, which include schedules of inspection and test results.
And you will require a dual RCD unit rather than a single RCD unit.

Hi, Thank you for the information. You say that they will require a dual RCD unit rather than a single RCD unit. I think I have a single RCD across everything - do you need two RCD's now.

You say that they will require a dual RCD unit rather than a single RCD unit. I think I have a single RCD across everything - do you need two RCD's now.
To prevent a total power loss, if the RCD trips.
If the household load is spread over two RCDs then if one trips you still have power available from the circuits protected by the second RCD.
If you only have one RCD everything is off!
The wiring regulation/requirements ask for circuits to be divided to avoid danger and minimise inconvenience in the event of a fault. By having two RCDs protecting divided circuits you will minimise inconvenience.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the info

I should add that this price is for a modern two bedroom house with 7 fuses

Depending on consumer unit being bought they do range in make model and quality.
But £70 should get you an okay dual RCD unit that will cover ten circuits.
Insist on dual RCD.
If there are no problems with your existing installation, it is conceivable that the change over can be completed in the day.
I generally do a EICR (electrical installation condition report) prior to change to make sure that the existing installation is suitable for the swap. In some cases repair or alterations are needed before the swap can be made or you could suffer power loss problems.
Your in a different part of the country to me and regional prices vary, but for a modern house with 7 circuits, with no historical electrical problems. I would be charging around the £400 mark.
That would include standard dual RCD unit, EICR and EIC (electrical installation certificate) and building control notification.
If any remedial work is needed, that would be quoted for on completion of EICR. Then addressed once confirmed you are willing to go ahead with the work. There would be charge for the EICR, if you decided not to go ahead with any remedial work and swap!
You may come across electrician that cannot self cert their work, (note:does not make them bad electricians) and they will have to have their work signed of by building controls, which requires an application and notification prior to work starting, which comes with quite a hefty fee.
So their price could be higher than that of an electrician that can self cert (note: does not make them a good electrician)
If you follow the link http://www.competentperson.co.uk/
you can find self cert electricians in your area.
Hope this info helps!

Price sounds reasonable - and if they feel more comfortable with the first electrician, then go with him/her. first instinct are often right!

For what it is worth I charge between £500 and £700 depending on the type of Consumer Unit choosen (dual RCD vs 10 RCBOs).

The materials cost might be higher if meter tails are upgraded/replaced or if the existing circuit tails are too short and need to be extended.

Like others I also carry a pre-installation inspection & test before swapping the consumer unit.

wish i could get £500-700 for a CU change in my area just outside of Warrington Cheshire. Did one a few weeks back 6 circuits Mk dual RCD unit and full test plus notified for £250 !

I quoted one a few weeks back for a 6 way all RCBO board for £320 all in. I didn't get the job as I was too expensive!

It's grim up north.

I quoted one a few weeks back for a 6 way all RCBO board for £320 all in. I didn't get the job as I was too expensive!

It's grim up north.

I supplied and my mate fitted an 8 way RCBO board for me recently, even at mates rates it didn't come in much less than that! I would've had your hand off if I was in the market for a non-mate to supply + fit

It's grim up north.

I normally fit an 8 rcbo unit when replacing an old wylex board - for £420 to £450 inc all test and BCO. But I sometimes get beaten on price, but normally the customer will end up with the inferior solution of a dual board from someone else.
So down South it's tough too - mainly because there are tons of chancers doing things without qualifications, paperwork, insurance, mates down the pub, I can see why it makes peoples blood boil. Especially if you try to provide a real value for money service and that is not good enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back