Changing pipe direction 90 degrees – no room for a joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

It's new basin time here at ismellburning towers.

The current basin is directly above where the pipes come into the bathroom through the floorboards. That means the pipes simply travel up vertically, and are then bent to meet the taps.

What I want to do now is have those pipes come up through the floorboards (as they presently do), then turn 90 degrees and run sideways to the corner of the room. Then turn 90 degrees again to run upwards to the basin's new position.

Ordinarily these 90 degree turns would be done with compression joint elbows.

However, the pipes in question are very very snug to the wall, so there's no room to install a new joint unless you used a brazed joint, which is well beyond my competence.

Is there a way to turn the existing pipes through 90 degrees using a very thin joint, or do you think this is a case where lifting the floorboards and having the pipes enter the room somewhere else is the best option?

All thoughts and experiences very gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
If you can drain those pipes fully of water, and make sure the exposed copper is shining bright with no paint or other grot present, you'll be able to make a soldered joint no bother.
You'll need a gas blow torch, some flux and preferably a bit of extra solder if you are using solder filled fittings, plus a heat resistant mat or two.
Have a bit of practise on spare pieces first and give it a go.....naturally you must include a length of pipe on the other end of the fitting before you crack on.
Check out any fire hazard, of course!
John :)

Either

A) Use solder ring fittings - very easy - no reel of solder needed. Youtube it.

B) Run under floorboards

If you can drain those pipes fully of water, and make sure the exposed copper is shining bright with no paint or other grot present, you'll be able to make a soldered joint no bother.
You'll need a gas blow torch, some flux and preferably a bit of extra solder if you are using solder filled fittings, plus a heat resistant mat or two.
Have a bit of practise on spare pieces first and give it a go.....naturally you must include a length of pipe on the other end of the fitting before you crack on.

Heat proof mats? You big woofter :LOL:

Sponsored Links

Ah, didn't know these existed. They look dead handy.

When you heat them, though, do you need to apply heat from all angles (impossible for me due to the walls), or will applying a blowtorch from one direction get things hot enough to create a seal?

Ah, didn't know these existed. They look dead handy.

When you heat them, though, do you need to apply heat from all angles (impossible for me due to the walls), or will applying a blowtorch from one direction get things hot enough to create a seal?

Only one direction needed. They're only small 15mm solder ring elbows, so no need to move flame around. Just clean pipe ends with wire wool/ emery, etc. Light smear of flux on ends of pipe, enter pipe ends into ends of elbow. Heat one end of elbow (not the pipe) until you see a ring of solder (the ring of confidence) appear around end of fitting, then same with other end of fitting.

Have a look on Youtube. Plenty of videos.

Ah ok. In that case they might be perfect.

Thanks for the tips - tons of handy stuff on YouTube, just didn't know what I was searching for until you handy chaps arrived.

Cheers!

Heat proof mats? You big woofter :LOL:

I know....I must refrain from being such a mince - and use the back of me hand like the others :p
John :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back