Changing PIR on house alarm - how to do it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to change existing PIR's with ones that are not set off by the family cat. I know there are tamper circuits included in my system. Can I set the Alarm to not go off when I disconnect the current PIR's from the control panel or do I have to turn off the power supply, open the alarm unit and disconnect the battery while the alarm is sounding?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
good news:

ideally you put in the engineers number first
if you do not have it, open the detector (alarm will go off) enter your number to silence change detector wire for wire, put cover on detector, enter your number (you may have to enter your number twice.)

also note my signature.

BAD NEWS

There is no such thing as a "pet proof" detector

I shall expalin.

A pir looks for the movement of infra red heat, most have a fresnel lens that determines where they can "see" "pet proof" detectors usually can only see in a horizontal plane (normally they look down at an angle)
so if you put your "pet proof" detector in the same (high) place as the existing detector it will only be able to see any one who is tall (very yall alomost at ceiling height)
The way round it is to lower the detector down, but if you do that the cat can walk across the floor no problems, BUT if the cat jumps onto the furniture the pir can then see the cat and so off it goes.

quikck but true story

mate works for alarm co, installed "pet proof" detectors, went off lots, detector changed still went off, owner came home early alarm going off, cat on back of setee (owner initally said, "cat never goes on furniture" well it wouldn't while owner is there)

Result: owner apologised and kept cat out of room, simpler, and cheaper, never had problem since.

footnote:

Most police forces do not like to have pets / and alarms since they are known to cause problems

breezer,
Thanks for the reply.

I can put the alarm in engineer mode (at which point the tamper light comes on). Does that mean I can then disconnect the current PIR's without the alarm going off?

probably, depends on make / model of panel. try it and see, but as i also said i think you are wasting your time

Sponsored Links
The visonic Pet PIR's are fine for a cat - bigger dogs etc I would be wary but for a cat youll be fine - and the Visonic pet passives can be installed at the same hight as normal PIR's.

As stated previously, open lid of pir - alarm will go into tamper - enter code to silence, then note what wire goes to which connection - disconnect and put small amount of insulating tape over bare wires so the power cores dont touch wilst your changing detector as this will blow a fuse inside the panel on the low voltage side.

Reconnect wires to proper terminals on new PIRs after having noted the markings of terminals - replace cover, then either press reset or put your code into panel to reset tamper condition.

Screwi said:
The visonic Pet PIR's are fine for a cat -
yeah right, i beg to differ, imo, visonic make the biggest pile of junk going.
I ask you this,

The pet pir from visonic is "immune" to 85lb how does it know how much something weighs? answer it doesnt, its where it looks and it assumes that something of that weight must me notaller than 18 inches or so.

So as i said if a cat jumps up onto a setee off it will go.

our alarm kept goin off due to my cat. had the PIR changed and false alarms stopped. either that, or my cat kept outta the sittin room

There's no reason that a good quality pet PIR that's well installed should false alarm. That's all well and good, but if your cat/s are gonna be jumping onto sofas and tables, there's no point in fitting pet safe PIRs. Visonic = rubbish as already stated. Go for Napco Adaptives or Rokonet Cosmos Pet detectors if you want a decent unit. Read the instructions thoughroughly before you install: alot of them require specific mounting heights.

I have Detection Systems PIR's but my cat is cronky (nearly 15 yo) and his leapy days are over....to be replaced by p***y and s****y days...... :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back