Changing position of shelf in fitted fridge housing (melamine).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone able to give some advice on some alteration I require to make to a melamine fridge-housing?

Basically a fridge failed recently and the replacement is slightly higher so I need to raise the horizontal board which also acts as shelf to the cupboard above. The existing support comes from four flush-mounted screwed locking latches. Would I be able to get away with using conventional 4 steel shelf supports or should I look for some alternative. Also what are the best drill bits for melamine?

IMG_3495.JPG

Sponsored Links
when you say melamine, you presumably mean laminated chipboard?

You can use wood drills, though they will quickly go blunt. It may help to make a small pilot hole, which will also reduce risk of skidding.

Yes, John, that's the stuff. Is it not also referred to as conti-board? I will note your tip about the pilot hole. Thanks alot.

Sponsored Links
In my day, contiboard was a timber laminate, and contiplas was the melamine equivalent - but maybe that's changed now.You could use some thin timber bearers to support your new shelf though.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back