Plastering void chimney breast shelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the late stages of finishing a property renovation and need some advice on plastering/skim.

We have a plan for a chimney breast integrated shelf to house a sky box/dvd. With cable runs running behind the new dot and dab.

The cupboard is positioned in the old fireplace opening. I plan to screw some plasterboard accross the bottom section of the cupboard (marked with red) and skim flush to existing plaster with some jointing tape on the seams.

I have bought some stop bead to pin around the face of the opening of the shelf so I can run skim flush with the opening of the shelf giving a clean edge look.

Any ideas what I should do to fill the void around the sides and top of the cabinet? I was thinking expanding foam + EML? Will I be able to use just multi finish straight onto this? Or will it require bonding first?

Never done any plastering work before so correct me if I am talking rubbish haha

Many thanks

download

This is the finished look I am going for

upload_2019-8-1_20-31-11.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Expanding foam or bonding coat. Then fix the stop beads

Is the cupboard flush with the existing plaster though? It looks set back from the pic

Hi,

Thanks for your help. At this moment the cupboard is set back 3mm from current finished plasterboard. I have 25mm x 3mm deep stop bead pinned on around the opening now so stop bead is flush with existing plaster as it stands.

I may buy 57mm x 13mm stop bead as below and set cabinet further back. 25mm is giving me no room for error or much to work with lol

https://www.diy.com/departments/galvanised-steel-stop-bead-l-3m-w-57mm/35782_BQ.prd

Don’t use that, it’s for rendering
Post a pic of how you’ve got it now with the bead? Sounds like you’re on the right lines.

Sponsored Links
That’s unlikely to work, the skim will craze and crack where it’s in contact with the wood/ply of the cupboard, on the flat part of the bead.
I’d take beads off, fill gap between existing opening and cupboard (see my first response above), re fit the beads so they abut the cupboard but the bead is fixed to the foam/bonding not the cupboard itself. For this to work though, the cupboard front needs to be pretty much flush with the existing plastering.

Okay thanks, I did put PVA onto the wood first before fixing the beads. I will follow your instruction. Can I use multi-finish directly onto to the foam or do I need to use bonding first?

Many thanks

You can multi straight onto foam.
With this approach though, the front edge face of your cupboard will still be showing. If that’s not what you want, then to get a completely seamless look, these things tend to be completely done using plasterboard, corner beads and skimmed, but that’s a bit more work.

Okay thanks. Yeah I should have done this before plasterers came in. Thanks for your help though will give it a go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back