Changing R63 bulb to fluorescent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an 8x8 kitchenette that is lit by 3x 60w R63 reflector bulbs on a small track. As the bulbs don't seem to last very long and are a bit pricey, could someone please advise on the wattage of fluorescent tube I would need to generate the same amount of light?

The room is quite small so I think that a 5-foot tube would look too imposing, therefore I'll probably have to choose a 4-foot one. Would I need a single or double fitting?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find a single fitting will do the job, although I haven't done any calculations to verify this, it's just personal opinion.

Thank you. If any sparkies out there happen to know the correct wattage I'd be very grateful.

Sponsored Links
Excuse me for labouring the point but is a 36w tube the equivalent light output of 3x 60w bulbs?

Excuse me for labouring the point but is a 36w tube the equivalent light output of 3x 60w bulbs?

It's generally accepted that fluorescent lighting offers an ~80% energy saving over standard GLS lamps, so a 36w tube is very roughly equivalent to 180w of GLS lighting. In any case, the light output will be far more even and less directional, so if anything, you should require less equivalent light output.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back