Changing tap led to it leaking alot!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am probably being very stupid, i don't have much plumbing knowledge. I have a mixer tap for a free standing bath, we had to remove it as i need to remove a floor board and now when i fix it back on water gushes out. It has three nuts one to the pipe one to the tap, i don't know what the other one does but that seems to be the problem one. Not sure if we might be turning it the wrong way, they all seem to tighten in different directions.
Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It has three nuts one to the pipe one to the tap, i don't know what the other one does but that seems to be the problem one. Not sure if we might be turning it the wrong way, they all seem to tighten in different directions.
Any help much appreciated.

can't make head or tail of that.

Sponsored Links
It is leaking from the middle nut on the right hand side set of pipes, i'll draw an arrow on the picture.

I hope no one minds me pushing in here, but the original plumber has connected the incoming pipe to a hexagon bush to act as a reducer to the tap connector, and its this joint that is now leaking. You'll have to undo the complete assembly, and remake the joints again using PTFE tape and preferably some joint sealant where the leak is. You may need a new fibre washer where the tap connects to as well. Good luck with it! Cheers John

That`s not a bush ;) It`s a Chinese tap connector . From the YUK-FU
foundry on the banks of the Yangsee river. Come back Conex ( and the rest of british manufacturing) all is forgiven. Could be repaired as suggested

I am no plumber, but I find it much easier to connect taps using those flexible connectors which have a compression fitting on one end for the copper pipe, and an isolating valve, and a tap connector at the other. Saves trying to winkle the rigid pipes into the right position. Also you only have two purpose-made connectors, which I would have thought an improvement on the current arrangement.

it can be quite awkward getting big spanners under the bath to do up the nuts on the taps.

Cut em out and use flexi's with iso valves integral......saves all your hassle as has been stated already

Wondering why the plumber didn't just use a 22mm tap connector in the first place...unless there are some dark issues hiding somewhere.....the threads look to be the same diameter.

i thought he might have done it to extend the reach of the pipes when they wouldn't reach the new taps

Thanks for the advice guys, luckily i managed to get hold of my plumber friend (thought he was on holiday), the connectors were the fittings that came with the tap to connect it to the pipes and so that's why they were used. This will make more sense to you than me but they are a threaded male - female joint so the pipe in the middle screws down into the bottom nut (not very good explanation). I got the taps from a well known high street retailer so i guess this weird connector thing will be making more appearances!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back