Changing tap washer - dismantling tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. The time's come for me to change my first tap washer. Seems simple enough but I just want to be sure that mine is the type of tap where you remove the red/blue plastic caps. I ask only because they're so small. If they ARE to be removed, what type of tool is best to minimise/prevent damage to the cap and taphead? Thank you so much.
IMG_20180612_112502544.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi. The time's come for me to change my first tap washer. Seems simple enough but I just want to be sure that mine is the type of tap where you remove the red/blue plastic caps. I ask only because they're so small. If they ARE to be removed, what type of tool is best to minimise/prevent damage to the cap and taphead? Thank you so much.
View attachment 143133
If the handle is held on by a screw under the plastic cap, you do need to remove it. I suggest a small sharp screwdriver. But some have a grub screw lower down in the handle.

Whip off the red plug is there isnt a grub screw - pull handle off.

Lower gland cover will/should unscrew to reveal the tap gland.

Grab some grips and unscrew (a bit of wd40 sometimes helps...)

Pull it out and change your washer.

Oh... probably best to isolate/turn the water off first :D:notworthy:

If youir just changing the tap washers,sometimes just the chrome shroud needs undoing to its furthest travel with the tap fully turned on.This will often expose the spanner flats on the brass body.Then with a set spanner of the correct size undo it,holding against the spout.
What tools do you have :?:

Oh... probably best to isolate/turn the water off first :D:notworthy:

Sponsored Links
The caps are very snug and don't seem to have a 'nick' for screwdriver heads (the pic suggests there's a nick at 11 o'clock but there's not). I've turned the tap fully on and lifted the 'shroud' up - do these pics give a better idea as to what I'm dealing with? My tools are basic including an adjustable spanner. Thanks again.
z1.jpg

The caps are very snug and don't seem to have a 'nick' for screwdriver heads (the pic suggests there's a nick at 11 o'clock but there's not). I've turned the tap fully on and lifted the 'shroud' up - do these pics give a better idea as to what I'm dealing with? My tools are basic including an adjustable spanner. Thanks again.
View attachment 143156
So there's no grub screw? From the middle pic it looks like you might get an open-end spanner in, if that's the hexagon visible under the raised dome. If your adjustable is too thick, time to invest in more kit!

Yes, the visible bit under the dome is hexagonal. My adjustable spanner only just squeezes in but doesn't open far enough. Is there such a thing as a 'thin' spanner for this type of job? Assuming this is how you do it, seems unecessarily tricky – perhaps that red cap SHOULD come out but I don't see how to prise it off without risking damage to the cap and/or tap...

Yes, the visible bit under the dome is hexagonal. My adjustable spanner only just squeezes in but doesn't open far enough. Is there such a thing as a 'thin' spanner for this type of job? Assuming this is how you do it, seems unecessarily tricky – perhaps that red cap SHOULD come out but I don't see how to prise it off without risking damage to the cap and/or tap...
An ordinary open-end spanner is likely to be thinner than your adjustable. Make sure you get the right size or a selection for future use.
If you use (carefully) a sharp pointed tool you should be able to get the plastic cap out without doing noticeable damage. In any case, you might be able to get replacememt caps. Taking the handle off means you can use a ring spanner, better bet if it's tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back