Changing tap washer, nut won't budge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brand new basin taps from Screwfix (Swish contemporary range, conventional rotary operation, not cartridge-type).
One of them started dripping immediately after install. I fitted flexible tap connectors, using a hack saw to saw off the old pipe. On first use, the tap spewed out some copper filings..so that's probably the cause.
Anyway, I decide to renew the washer. So I removed the tap shroud. But I was then unable to turn the nut that holds the tap internals. I used an adjustable wrench. I held the tap spout with my left hand and tried with some force to turn the nut with my other hand, but it still wouldn't budge.
This seems unusual for a brand new tap.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Maybe not so unusual :cry: we used to "break" taps before fitting them .......undo the nut/top of tap on the floor on a cloth pad .....just another old redundant trick ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back