Changing the colour of a fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 15 panel fence is currently blue and I would like to change it to green. I used Cuprinol garden shades around 8 years ago and it has worn well apart from a few sun exposed areas where it has flaked off. Ordinary green fence preserver just sits on top of the Cuprinol and does not alter the colour much.

I could apply a coat of green garden shades - (expensive and it might not cover the blue with just one coat) or remove the blue and use a cheaper green fence preserver - is there any way to get the stuff off apart from sanding?

Has anyone tried to do this?

Sponsored Links
funnily enough we had a fence which was blue, and we decided we wanted it green or brown a few years ago... and it was a nightmare. Because the wood is rough sawn, you just can't get it off with or without sanding.

Thankfully my fence was vertical featheredge boards, and as i back onto a field, i took the boards off and turned them round. But even the bits where the blue had gone through knot holes was a pain... you literally had to scrape the stuff off...

If you want the simple solution... get new panels. I'm guessing the other option is gallons of chemicals... not a nice thought.

Good luck.

Depending on the size of the fence, you could pressure washer the fence, this normally removes the colour.
Then let it dry and change the colour.

Andy

Depending on the size of the fence, you could pressure washer the fence, this normally removes the colour.
Then let it dry and change the colour.

Andy

with respect Herts, i don't think that would've worked on mine. I think it would depend on the type of timber you've painted blue. If it's quite smooth, you might get away with it, but mine was old, deep grained, rough cut stuff...

Sponsored Links
Hey Martian, it works on sawn timber. Just takes time and patience.

Andy

maybe i shoulda tried that.... but i didn't have the patience, so it was easier to flip the boards.... keep meaning to get a pressure washer though... recommend any makes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back