Changing the piezo spark on a Baxi Gas Flame Super

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My Baxi Gas Flame Super gas fire has stopped lighting, and it has been taking more and more sparks to get it going, so I ordered a new one.
In the mean time, I'm removing the old one. I have it out, and slid the connector cap back, but I'm reluctant to pull the wire out, in case I damage it.
Is it save to pull it till it comes out?

If this is the original Piezo spark, then it is 35 years old. How long do they last? I can see the old one is still sparking, but I hope it is to small to light the gas.
Cheers, Camerart

Attachments

• Sparker.jpg
    Sparker.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
We can not give gas advice here. But yes you can just pull the wire. Use a pair of long nose pliers to grip the metal spade connecter to avoid it snapping.

Have you ordered just the mechanical ignitior or is it complete with gas valve?

We can not give gas advice here. But yes you can just pull the wire. Use a pair of long nose pliers to grip the metal spade connecter to avoid it snapping.

Have you ordered just the mechanical ignitior or is it complete with gas valve?
Hi F,
I ordered only the sparker, so no gas, and it should be here in 15 mins.
Thanks.
C

Sponsored Links
Where did you order it from and why are they taking so long ? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Hi I,
"It's the way I tell em" In #3 it did seem like I'd just ordered it, but I only ordered it yesterday, and it's now fitted, so they actually were quick.
C

Hi I,
"It's the way I tell em" In #3 it did seem like I'd just ordered it, but I only ordered it yesterday, and it's now fitted, so they actually were quick.
C
Was just teasing, glad you got it sorted :LOL:

Hi,
As mentioned it's now fitted and when it click, the fire lights, so it was the problem. However, the little 'click arm' isn't engaging with the piezo slider properly, so it is hit and miss, whether it clicks.
I don't see anywhere where there's adjustment, as it all lines up when fitting, so what's going on?
C

Attachments

• Piezo.jpg
    Piezo.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 57
I don't see anywhere where there's adjustment, as it all lines up when fitting, so what's going on?
Have serviced so many of these, I hate gas fires but this one is the Bees knees, are you sure it is not the control knob that has cracked or the little metal grip part has dropped out, if you have fitted the piezo correctly, there is no adjustment, but you can fit them wrong, the control knob is the usual culprit, you think you are turning the control spindle but you arent

Have serviced so many of these, I hate gas fires but this one is the Bees knees, are you sure it is not the control knob that has cracked or the little metal grip part has dropped out, if you have fitted the piezo correctly, there is no adjustment, but you can fit them wrong, the control knob is the usual culprit, you think you are turning the control spindle but you arent
Hi I,
I tried it with pliers, so I could see what's happening, and as the arm touches the pin, the pin drops down to the recoil angle, so the arm runs by it.
How can it be fitted incorrectly? Lining the inside pin with the push in slider slot was n't straight forward, could this be a problem?
C

Last edited:
on your pic as you will see it is screws then washers then plate, if the washers are behind the plate that will be your problem, something physically is stopping everything from lining up, try loosening the two screws a few turn and wiggle the ignitor , once it feels correct tighten the screws , you will see what I mean when you do it, if it feels like you have to force anything then you are correct the connecting rod is not located properly

on your pic as you will see it is screws then washers then plate, if the washers are behind the plate that will be your problem, something physically is stopping everything from lining up, try loosening the two screws a few turn and wiggle the ignitor , once it feels correct tighten the screws , you will see what I mean when you do it, if it feels like you have to force anything then you are correct the connecting rod is not located properly
Hi I,
When I fitted it, I first held the brass top block against the main brass body, and felt it go right back till they were touching as I turned the centre round to line up the slot, then while holding it there, I added the Piezo plate and lined up the holes, tightened the screws and tried it. I don't see what I could have done differently.
C.

Hi,
I think the problem is wear, as the pin isn't pushed along the slider slot, so I ground a small amount from the top of the slot, so the pin catches the twist arm. Now it fires up every time.
Thanks for all the help.
C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back