channel 5 - cowboy builders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else here watched last night's tv show on channel 5 about cowboy builders. They show the mess left by builders and they employ a firm to put it right for the house owner.

Yesterday's show featured a botched roof conversion. Basically a steel beam was totally missing holding the whole thing up and it had not been finished.
This particular series employs a local firm from manchester to put things right. In this particular instance they had to fit the steel beam.

I am not trade, just an ordinary customer, and frankly i would have been a little worried if any firm would have:

a) lifted a steel beam over a scaffold with two ropes at either end with lads lifting it using one of the scaffolding bars as leverage.

b) the steel beam was 2 meters out once they slotted it in a hole drilled through the walls. The guy had to get the grinder out to cut it.

c) They managed to poke the beam through the partition wall and caused damage to the neighbouring house.

I'd glad to hear your opinion on this episode if anyone has watched it.

Is it common practice to lift a steel rcj beam via a rope over a scaffold by hand?

Sponsored Links
You may not get many replies as the show features several forum members :LOL: :LOL:

i know a couple of builders that employ donkeys for that sort of thing, gotta whatch your back see!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Common enough practice !...Would you rather pay for a day`s crane hire. I think the beam was 200 millimeters too long. The party wall issue is a tricky one. I would have pre-warned the next door householder, and agreed any damage repair first- not easy to take out half a wall. same as an omlette+ eggs lol.

Back