Channelling water on tarmac?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've just moved into a rental property with a lean-to by the house, which is where i now keep my VW Camper. It's 40 years old and needs to be keep in as dry a place as possible. Unfortunately, when the lean-to was constructed they didn't consider the fact that when it rains, water gushes down from the steep drive into the lean-to.

They should have built a soak-away drain by the entrance. Since it's a rental property, i'm looking for easy cost-effective ways to stop water running into the entrance to the lean-to, rather than digging up the tarmac to install a soak-away.

I've come up with an idea but i need some advice on what product to use. Basically, i'm imagining melting/pouring something like tar or some kind of molten plastic or rubber onto the tarmac itself in a v-shape in front of the lean-to to create an inch or so high barrage. When it hardens, it will channel the running water to either side of the lean-to entrance! Bingo, this stop much of the rainwater from running in. This substance would need to adhere to the tarmac for at least a few years and also be tough enough for me to drive over.

This may sound like a bit of a crackpot idea but i really think it'll be an effective and inexpensive solution to the problem ... i just need to know what product could actually do this job!

Look forward to hearing your replies!

Sponsored Links
If you channel it to the side of the house the water will still find it's way into the lean to anyway, it's got to go somewhere.
If you channel it the other way will it all end up on your neighbours drive?
To do what you want to do I would suggest concrete, get a length of guttering and fill that up with it, then place it where you want it and tip it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back