Charged to fix contractors work

[I never expect something for nothing...I have also said that I am going to pay it - at the end of the day he loses out on thousands of pounds of work - his problem but I can't be bothered with the arguments. He also at no point has gone out of his way you obvioulsy didn't read the whole thread there is no need to be rude, and he has certainly charged me more than an hours labour.

If what you say is true i.e. he connected a gas appliance without conducting a tightness test, and it gets even worse as that connection then leaked, he needs to be retrained and reassessed and should be suspended by Gassafe until that happens. If a DIYer did that then all hell would fly and people would be calling for him to be prosecuted. Gassafe have a procedure to investigate this sort of thing and to protect the next consumer it should be used.

Sponsored Links
Seriously, if it takes 5 minutes or 55 minutes then he charges an hour. He came out, ascertained it wasn't his fault. Went and fetched a part for you, returned and fitted said part and then charges you for parts and labour. What do you expect? Free work? Pay the invoice and stop being such a tight c00t and expecting something for nothing.

Jon

I never expect something for nothing...I have also said that I am going to pay it - at the end of the day he loses out on thousands of pounds of work - his problem but I can't be bothered with the arguments. He also at no point has gone out of his way you obvioulsy didn't read the whole thread there is no need to be rude, and he has certainly charged me more than an hours labour.[/QUOTE]

So the guy should work for free on the promissory note of getting more work!

Life doesn't work like that. Try it in Sainsbury next time you do your shopping. Walk out without paying on the promise of returning and buying your next 6 months worth from them and see what answer you get.

There's too many customers out there that believe that you are doing us a favour by giving us the work when in reality it is the other way round.

As for him charging you more than an hour let's work it out.

£80 per hour + £10 materials + VAT Total £96 seems about right to me.

How much were you thinking we charge an hour?

[I never expect something for nothing...I have also said that I am going to pay it - at the end of the day he loses out on thousands of pounds of work - his problem but I can't be bothered with the arguments. He also at no point has gone out of his way you obvioulsy didn't read the whole thread there is no need to be rude, and he has certainly charged me more than an hours labour.

If what you say is true i.e. he connected a gas appliance without conducting a tightness test, and it gets even worse as that connection then leaked, he needs to be retrained and reassessed and should be suspended by Gassafe until that happens. If a DIYer did that then all hell would fly and people would be calling for him to be prosecuted. Gassafe have a procedure to investigate this sort of thing and to protect the next consumer it should be used.

At no point did he say that a TT wasn't carried out. He said he was in the kitchen when he fitted the cooker.

A TT could well have been carried out and passed. It is only a representation of the system at the time of test. Materials fault especially existing and we don't know what was done afterwards as I feel we aren't getting the full story from the OP.

Very few gas leaks are there from day one and faults occur. How long that takes is anyone's guess. The OP could just have been unlucky that his 20 year old bayonet developed a fault then. Or had he been messing? Who knows it's only guess work.

He was charged for an hours labour and parts at a fair price. Sounds like he's dodged a bullet by not being offered this many thousands of pounds worth of work from the OP.

I would speak to the guy, we are all human and mistakes can be made, maybe I am too easy going with customers but I have a reputation locally of being not cheap, but fair, and most of the work I get is from word of mouth, if someone rang me with a query over something like this, I would probably concede some ground to appease them, there is always some middle ground to be had

Sponsored Links
You paid him to fit a boiler and a gas cooker, it's leaking after hes fitted it and he charges you to fix it. CHEEKY UNETHICAL SOD !
Even if it went faulty after he'd checked it which is highly unlikely he should have done it at no cost but his own, that's what I'd have done.
Kick him in to touch and never use him again and I'd ask him what the procedure is for getting g gas safe to check his work he needs a kick up the backside!

I'd pretty much agree with gasbanni, it sound as though he fitted the cooker, assumed everything was fine without testing it, then overcharged for work that he should have done in the first place. If he'd done things correctly in the first place - and there was actually a faulty part - then he'd have gone and got it at that point, and then agreed a price for the work. The way he's acted doesn't sound as though he's playing fair, and you'll either politely ask him to explain the breakdown, or as you say, pay it, and then use someone else. Once you've lost faith in a contractor, even if the loss isn't completely his fault, then it's difficult not to have all his ongoing work tainted.

if it was my job i would have charged for the cooker install and not charged to repair the leak. Hopefully its been fitted correctly, over half the cookers i fit i have to move the pipework, bayonet to the new cookers instructions, supply a bracket or chain, sometimes hose so id def have charged for the install.

Did he install the bayonet or was it existing? if it wasn't, then what was there previously?

You would be a mug to pay the invoice ..He done the job and he bodged it .Let him take it on the chin ..I would never dream of charging one of my customers for something I messed up

Did he have Ckr1 on his ticket ? I know a lot of people who only have their tickets for CCN1

Not to start the argument again but as an update I couldn't be bothered with the hassle and just paid the invoice as it was. It is interesting to the see the diverse responses here though, both from the consumer and the trades people alike.

By the way I have told the whole story as it is and not embeleshed or restricted any details of it.

To answer the question above the Bayonet was existing. I have lost a bit of faith in him and probably wouldn't use him on the big build - as you say maybe he has dodged a bullet by not getting thousands of pounds off me - all I know is every other trade I have worked with has always been paid ontime and for the job they have done.

Sponsored Links
Back