Gas Cooker Leaking

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been getting a slight smell of gas from around a Beko gas cooker which I only bought 10 months ago.

Initially we thought it was coming from a poor horizontal bayonet fitting which I had fully replaced with a new vertical fitting.

But when the gas safe engineer did the measurements afterwards he found that there was a drop and that there was still a leak.

After some investigation, he concluded that a leak was coming from the 10 month old Beko gas cooker itself.

Firstly, I'm shocked that a 10 month old cooker could start leaking and would be interested to know how common this is and what the usual problems are?

Secondly, what readings should you expect and what is considered legal and safe?
Haven't got the readings from him yet but looking back at the gas check I had done with someone else a few months ago, it came out with an operating pressure of 20 (not sure what the units are but hopefully this will make sense). Does this value of 20 make sense and is that ok at the time?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Operating pressure is just that, the pressure it is operating at. There’s industry permissible drops providing no smell of gas. Appliances, like anything else can fail no matter the age, as long as you’re safe now (as in no leaks/smell of gas) obtain a new one/repair under the warranty or get a new different branded cooker altogether.

Is it definitely the cooker or the connection to it?

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Operating pressure is just that, the pressure it is operating at. There’s industry permissible drops providing no smell of gas. Appliances, like anything else can fail no matter the age, as long as you’re safe now (as in no leaks/smell of gas) obtain a new one/repair under the warranty or get a new different branded cooker altogether.

Is it definitely the cooker or the connection to it?
Sorry, should have said. Called AO who put us in touch with Beko, who are sending a local engineer out to fix on Thursday as still under warranty.
The gas safe engineer who did the checks after the fitting of the new bayonet said there was a smell of gas and that the drop was lower than he expected. Haven't got his figures yet though though.
Is Beko a particularly unreliable brand?
What are the usual things that go on gas cookers? A seal or something?
Thanks

Did the engineer leave it connected to the gas supply? Figures don’t matter in this respect.

Beko are an affordable brand, don’t know if they’re reliable or not. Imo, only screwed connections, connecting seal or hose would go.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
No, he disconnected it as deemed unsafe
That’s good, had me concerned for a moment. Depending on the meter, depends on the permissible drop, but in either case has to be no smell of gas.

• Thanks
Sorry, should have said. Called AO who put us in touch with Beko, who are sending a local engineer out to fix on Thursday as still under warranty.
The gas safe engineer who did the checks after the fitting of the new bayonet said there was a smell of gas and that the drop was lower than he expected. Haven't got his figures yet though though.
What are the usual things that go on gas cookers? A seal or something?
Thanks

It is odd that you have no "readings". He should have recorded them on the Warning Notice. Did you get one? Typically looks like this - although different printers vary:

1689013612870.png

I think they are Turkish. My impression is that they are cheap, but having said that massive firms such as Hoover Candy sell budget machines as well.

Many years ago I purchased a 900mm hob with a nice sounding German name (Baumatic). I didn't realise that they were good looking but pants quality (and not German).

Whenever I opened the door to the unit that the hob sat above, I would get a very slight whiff of gas, but it was never enough to concern me. It remained that way for about 18 years until the kitchen was re-done.

BTW, in no way am I recommending that anyone ever ignores the smell of the "perfume" put in to natural gas.

If you can smell it, get a suitably accredited plumber out ASAP. And, from memory (but I might be wrong) in the event of smelling gas, your local gas supplier will turn up and tell you if there is a leak (for free), but assuming that it is after the meter, they won't fault find

• Thanks
If you can smell it, get a suitably accredited plumber out ASAP. And, from memory (but I might be wrong) in the event of smelling gas, your local gas supplier will turn up and tell you if there is a leak (for free), but assuming that it is after the meter, they won't fault find
I don’t think it’s ever been the supplier, but it’s the esp/gas transporter you’re thinking of, so Cadent for example.

You need to contact beko and let them known one of their appliances has lasted as long as 10 months .;)

You need to contact beko and let them known one of their appliances has lasted as long as 10 months .;)
I have. They've arranged for someone to come this Thursday. However, when I spoke to him, he said that it's incredibly unlikely that the cooker itself is at fault.
I had the bayonet fitting and all piping in that area replaced which I'm hoping has fixed the leak but the gas safe engineer was concerned about the drop in pressure when the cooker was connected, so he disconnected it and told me to call Beko.
Not sure who to believe now.

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back