Charity

G

gassafeman

Im sat here clearing out e-mails and it got me thinking.

I am not really a massive fan of Christmas. (My enjoyment is watching the kids etc). Shops are packed, pubs are full of people who never normally go in pubs and therefore dont know how to act. Its a pain getting a taxi and when you do get one they charge you double and so on. If you have to wait until the season of goodwill before you exhibit any goodwill to your fellow man, then you are obviously not a very nice person.

This year, however, I have noticed yet another riling Yuletide trend - the "We are giving to charity the money we are saving by not sending cards this year" email.

Personally, I do not mind if you don't send me a Christmas card. This year I have sent out exactly the same number of cards as I have done for many years - none. (The missus does em' all). It can be nice to get a note from someone, but sending out an email to your entire address book to let me know that you have made a donation to a cause that I almost certainly don't support is just taking it to another level.

I received one of these emails a few weeks back, which was addressed to over 250 people. Let's say that on average a card (with price of a stamp) costs a quid 50. Do you honestly expect me to believe that just after you've hit the "send" button, the next thing you are going to do is write out a cheque for 375 quid and send to "JCBs for Africa"? Who are you trying to kid? Apart from anything else, sending a JCB to a remote African village will mean that in two months when they realise how expensive it is to run and maintain a JCB, let alone one in a remote location, all they will have is the worlds most expensive climbing frame for the kids.

I'd rather have the card.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
i have never grumbled paying double for a new years day taxi, cause when i used to work on call out on new years day i used to get £50 per call out plus a day off, so if i'm happy to earn big i'm happy to pay out big

Does anyone really believe that people who broadcast they are giving to charity instead of sending cards actually 'give to charity'?

When I give to charity or do something for a worthy cause then that is my business and I don't need others to know about it to make me feel good. I do things because I believe they need to be done or because I want to do them, not to make me feel good.

Sponsored Links
Back