1&1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Old Ma is fed up with 1&1. They host her email address.

It is forever going down where she can send out but cannot receive. Last time she was told she had missed a payment. Fair enough. She registered her credit card on line and paid up.

Now I have just been told that the email has packed up and to try re-registering the card details on-line and that should sort it out.

This is causing my poor 75 yo Ma untold stress.

What are they playing at?

Sponsored Links
Never heard of them.
Why not help her to get a free email addy such as Hotmail?

Never heard of them.

other free email providers are available........terms and conditions apply......please email responsibly......

Something went 'bump' in the night. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Have 2 sites and mail through 1and1 ,never known it be offline for last 5 years.

I agree with Conny, I've been using Hotmail for over 10 years, gives you more flexibility and you can swap internet providers a lot easier.

And as it's free your Mum won't have to worry about paying.

registering a credit card means they can take money as and when they think fit. You can't cancel it yourself even if, for example, you cancel the broadband. The credit card co will say they can't accept your cancellation, it has to be cancelled by the merchant. If the merchant is an idiot or untrustworthy they might not do it.

A direct debit with the bank is under your control, and you can cancel it by writing to the bank.

I have used 1&1 for last six years, and apart from access problems at first i have had no trouble. BUT beware of phishing, there have been attempts to replicate the official website. The same goes with Tripadviser, i have been asked to provide card details and full personal details in order to log in to a site i have used for a number of years. Needless to say i immediately logged out.

Never heard of 1&1.

I'll also suggest Hotmail. I've had Hotmail for personal emails for 9 years. No problems at all, and quite user friendly.

As said, when you change BB providers, it doesn't mean changing email addresses. When I was with Tiscali, their email system was abysmal, and extremely user-unfriendly. Hotmail is one of the better ones, and it's free.

Thanks guys. I've advised her to talk to CAB re the financial side of things as she (and I) thinks it sounds dodgy and she does not like the idea they can take money as and when they see fit.

I use www.doteasy.com for my emails, websites.

I have 3 domains only cost around £30 a year each.

For that you get as many email address as you could want and free webspace and data.

if they will accept a direct debit, ask to set that up instead. You can then cancel it if necessary by writing to the bank.

I heard on "money box" today that credit card co's are now supposed to accept cancellation instructions for recurring payments from cardholders, but they have no mechanism for doing it and some claim not to accept them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01gng5g

Sponsored Links
Back