Halfrauds!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just being to get a few bits from Halfords, got what I wanted and went to pay. I paid cash and was then asked for my email address, I said 'I'll just have it printed.' She then told me that if I don't give her my email address then I couldn't have a receipt.

Not happy, they are just collecting email addresses to build up a data base.

Not even sure if it is legal, as most OAP's are not on line.

Andy

Sponsored Links
It's NOT legal to demand an email address and it's NOT legal to refuse a receipt for a purchase.
Even if it is a handwritten receipt with the time, date, company and a printed name of the person who signed the receipt.

It's NOT legal to demand an email address and it's NOT legal to refuse a receipt for a purchase.
Even if it is a handwritten receipt with the time, date, company and a printed name of the person who signed the receipt.

I thought it was illegal for shops to refuse legal tender I.e. if I walk in to buy something with a twenty pound note that is not fake. However during the whole corona virus a lot of shops point blank refused cash. I understand why they don’t want to give printed receipts and handwritten would be even worse.

Why is everything on this site turned in to a mass conspiracy theory? They are harvesting email address”s for a big Halfords take over where they email out cryptic messages that once you read turns you into a buying zombie.

Conny check your facts before posting “Under UK law, there is no obligation for retailers to provide a receipt to customers, meaning there are also no rules protecting the quality of a receipt. ... This means the obligation to prove a purchase lies with the customer.”

Halfords would be perfectly in their right to not give a receipt.

So what if you bought something in Halfords and it was faulty a week later, how do you prove you bought it from there?

Andy

Sponsored Links
No legal requirement for the shop to give a receipt, no laws broken here. Obligation is on the consumer to prove purchase.

doesn’t sound like good customer service though.

So what if you bought something in Halfords and it was faulty a week later, how do you prove you bought it from there?

Andy

You hope you gave them an email address and have a receipt. Or paid by card and can show the transaction. Your asking me to question the law, they have no obligation to give you a receipt. Clearly shops would lose business if they didn’t because competition does but I think the problem is people have got too comfortable with what they are use to they never realise all the things they take for granted.

Just being to get a few bits from Halfords, got what I wanted and went to pay. I paid cash and was then asked for my email address, I said 'I'll just have it printed.' She then told me that if I don't give her my email address then I couldn't have a receipt.

Not happy, they are just collecting email addresses to build up a data base.

Not even sure if it is legal, as most OAP's are not on line.

Andy
It is ridiculous.I always refuse...Next, the other day,woman in front,2 metres from staff,gave full address,full name,phone number,what time she is in for next week!!!!

It is ridiculous.I always refuse...Next, the other day,woman in front,2 metres from staff,gave full address,full name,phone number,what time she is in for next week!!!!

Why refuse? I have a folder on my email account for all receipts where I can quickly search and find my receipt. Printed receipts get lost or misplaced an email address is nothing who cares who has it?

Ok then, so why don't they want to give out till receipts? save paper, electricity?..................So that means I have to go home and print the receipt myself on A4 paper, costing much more money than a till receipt and before you ask. I need the receipt to put through my accounts.

Andy

Ok then, so why don't they want to give out till receipts? save paper, electricity?..................So that means I have to go home and print the receipt myself on A4 paper, costing much more money than a till receipt and before you ask. I need the receipt to put through my accounts.

Andy

Like I said in the current climate I totally understand, with coronavirus they want to minimise things people touch.

HMRC prefer digital and most accounts do all things online with screenshots of receipts, you do not need a printed receipt.

I paid cash and when she gave me the change, she put the money into my hand touched it.

So it is not about no contact.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Back