Halfrauds!

No legal requirement for the shop to give a receipt, no laws broken here.

Tell 'em to knock the vat off for cash then! They have to give a vat receipt if you ask for one. Illegal to charge vat and not give a receipt for the vat amount, vat rate, vat registration number and date.

Sponsored Links
Tell 'em to knock the vat off for cash then! They have to give a vat receipt if you ask for one. Illegal to charge vat and not give a receipt for the vat amount, vat rate, vat registration number and date.

Do your research people you sound stupid posting incorrect information.

If you sell a customer a product or a service, you need to give them an invoice (bill) by law if both you and the customer are registered for VAT (a business to business transaction). An invoice is not the same as a receipt, which is an acknowledgement of payment.

The invoice must include certain information such as:

• how much the customer needs to pay you
  • when the customer must pay you

EEFD0D05-510B-4A75-99CB-4AC4B0DE9379.png

???

see my post from the gov.uk website

back to the point the shop has not refused to give a receipt, you have refused to take it digitally.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just being to get a few bits from Halfords, got what I wanted and went to pay. I paid cash and was then asked for my email address, I said 'I'll just have it printed.' She then told me that if I don't give her my email address then I couldn't have a receipt.

Do what I do - either tell 'em you don't have email or give them a made up one.

I won't give out email address or phone numbers to shops I am visiting, never have and have an email address just for ordering things online. The details do seem to get sold on regardless of what we are told imo. My partner gives all his info out to retailers and is inundated with spam emails and spam phone calls. I get no phone calls and no spam email.

Halfords should give a physical receipt, I wouldn't buy anything significant without one. Every other shop is managing to give a receipt during this virus..

Do what I do - either tell 'em you don't have email or give them a made up one.

Give a made up one for what reason? your receipt is then sent no where.

Mottie yes I read that, but Halfords don’t trump the law. They offered a receipt to the poster who declined, that is not Halfords fault.

It states it is only required for business to business customers but again if you decline a receipt that is your fault.

I won't give out email address or phone numbers to shops I am visiting, never have and have an email address just for ordering things online. The details do seem to get sold on regardless of what we are told imo. My partner gives all his info out to retailers and is inundated with spam emails and spam phone calls. I get no phone calls and no spam email.

Halfords should give a physical receipt, I wouldn't buy anything significant without one. Every other shop is managing to give a receipt during this virus..

so why not make an email just for receipts?

with coronavirus most shops are going digital

so why not make an email just for receipts?

with coronavirus most shops are going digital
I could, fair enough but I do prefer paper receipts. If I want to return an item, I've got to print it out.. which is fine but I don't have a printer!!
I've not been shopping much for anything with the virus but yesterday I went into two shops that weren't food related, as well as sainsburys. I got a receipt in all of them, just as usual. So is it most shops?

As someone else mentioned, it's pretty unfair on anyone who doesn't have a computer at home, printer, smart phone. The elderly, those who can't afford a home set up etc.

I could, fair enough but I do prefer paper receipts. If I want to return an item, I've got to print it out.. which is fine but I don't have a printer!!
I've not been shopping much for anything with the virus but yesterday I went into two shops that weren't food related, as well as sainsburys. I got a receipt in all of them, just as usual. So is it most shops?

As someone else mentioned, it's pretty unfair on anyone who doesn't have a computer at home, printer, smart phone. The elderly, those who can't afford a home set up etc.

You don’t need to print it out simply show it on your phone. Also most businesses don’t even require that, if you buy something and had it emailed or gave your post code they then have a stored copy of the receipt logged against that info on their system you simply quote your post code or email and they have your receipt in front of them.

I get what you are saying about old people but how long does the world continue to live in the old age to please people not willing to come into the future. I know people 80/90s quite happy with smart phones and computers.

People moan about green house gases and trees being cut probably the same people demanding a paper receipt the world is crazy.

Give a made up one for what reason? your receipt is then sent no where.

Insist they print a receipt. It is unreasonable of them to expect a customer to have an email address or provide their postal address - any store which pushed it with me, would find me just walking out without the goods.

Insist they print a receipt. It is unreasonable of them to expect a customer to have an email address or provide their postal address - any store which pushed it with me, would find me just walking out without the goods.

Bye :D

Sponsored Links
Back