1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

chase copper pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by ben3290485, 19 Dec 2020.

1. ben3290485

ben3290485

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a cold water pipe that is running along my wall for my downstairs toilet. I would like to chase it into the wall, so that I can then put tongue and groove over the top without the box at the bottom. Is this okay to do? Will it be a problem if I chisel into the breeze blocks?

[​IMG]

2. Sponsored Links
  3. denso13

denso13

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes.

No problem, just make the chase slightly deeper than the copper pipe. Don't embed the pipe in the wall, an open chase behind the T&G is ok.

4. ben3290485

ben3290485

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry, what do you mean "don't chase?". Do you mean don't let it touch the breeze block? I've since read that it's not good for copper pipes to touch breeze blocks.

5. denso13

denso13

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No, don't cement/plaster the pipe in to the chase, no need to when covered up. Chase is a chiselled groove in the blockwork.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. ben3290485

ben3290485

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok. Thank you. So just chisel out a long line, and then screw into the breeze block? Should I use any foam or anything? Structurally is it okay for me to cut a strip into the breeze block about 1.5m? Because I am moving the pipe in (if only a couple of cm's what is the best way to extend each end of the pipe? Learn to solder a corner or use something easier?

8. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just done exact same today with rad pipes for new rads... Vertical rads, so narrower span... Chased out walls behind skirting to bring pipes closer together... One wall was breeze blocks so was easy... The other wall was the old exterior wall of the house (inside extension) and was the toughest engineering blocks I've had the displeasure to chase into! :sick:

Behind skirtings so only filled in chases that pop above skirting. (y)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. baldykev

baldykev

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry may have read post wrong but i think you want to remove the box section as well ? and to tounge and groove all the way up from floor ?

As behind the box section is your waste pipes.
    If i have read it wrong sorry

10. ben3290485

ben3290485

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, Yep, going to remove the box and yes there will be a waste pipe, but I am going to get a vanity unit to hide all that.