Chasing cables past wooden corner beads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I’m currently unearthing an old chimney breast, I will be installing a cast iron insert eventually and I hope to hang a tv above it. As I was removing the plasterboard which was covering the opening its took a fair bit of the original plaster down with it. I would like to run a cable from the socket on the left, around the chimney breast to my tv. The problem I’m having is the wooden corner beads, would I have to drill a hole in the brick behind this and feed it through?
Here are some pictures to better explain. Thank you
https://imgur.com/gallery/KqSyO6g

also would you knock down all the plaster off the front and Bond it all before skimming it would just doing the bottom section be fine?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can add pictures by copy and paste into your post.

Or by "upload a file."

There is a socket on the RHS of your chimney breast. Spur vertically from that if it is itself not a spur.

Hi thanks for your reply. I plan on moving that socket due to the wife running through the chimney breast, the fire will be a functioning fire so I will have to move it.

Sponsored Links
the fire will be a functioning fire so I will have to move it.

In that case you should not put a TV above it due to heat rising.

Problem solved no cables required.

Don’t forget to tell the other forum that you have once again duplicated on that the problem is solved.

How does a wife run through a chimney breast?

Thanks for your input winston1. I’m surprised you had the time to post with checking my internet usage so thoroughly. I didn’t realise it was a crime to post on other communities as well.

I think the plasterer may take the wood beads down & fit metal ones, but as has already been said it does not sound like a good idea to instal a tv in that location.

I think the plasterer may take the wood beads down & fit metal ones, but as has already been said it does not sound like a good idea to instal a tv in that location.
I agree on the tv position. Above the fire is not a good place.

At minimum the plasterer will want to fit metal corner beads. The wooden ones will swell when the plaster is applied and then shrink as the plaster dries leaving cracks. The plasterer may want to take them off completely, or just fit metal ones over the top of the wood. Either way, you can cut through the wood beads to run your cable if you're set on having the TV above the fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back