chasing central heating pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I need to chase 15mm radiator pipes into my walls, what is the best way to ensure that the new plaster will not crack due to the heat??

Sponsored Links
I guessed you'd say that, but i've just spent £3000 on designer rads, and the last thing I want is ugly pipes running round the walls to them(I have solid concrete floors), also looked at hiding them behind the skirting but due to the height that the rads sit there would still be to much pipework on display. I know all the reasons not to do it but really have no option if Im to achieve the look Im after. therefore I would really appriecate any advise..

Sponsored Links
You can get some skirting boards which will hide pipes, or there are some inconspicuous cappings which look ok. However, if you want to bury them, carry on, but please let us know when you have problems. Promise we won't laugh.

reggie76 said:
I know all the reasons not to do it but really have no option if Im to achieve the look Im after. therefore I would really appriecate any advise..
My advice (which is the same as everyone else's...) is, if you have no other option, is to find one.

the best way to chase heating pipes is by car!, you can catch them quicker!

reduce to 10mm. microbore in ceiling void .....then drop inside conduit chased in :idea:

Saw some recently in chases behind the skirting, which was neat.
CHasebs.gif

The old way was to simply wrap in hair-felt lagging and bury in the plaster. The plaster often cracked.

Thanks for your replies, i'm guessing this is a big no no then, running them behind skirting with chrome plated pipe to rads would seem to be the way forward..wish I hadn't chased the walls already :oops: :oops:

I hope you have'nt gone too deep if you've chased them horizontally, they're holding the rest of your house up.

Hi mate - hope this helps, the way I did mine (and it never cracked!) was to make the chase of a decent width and depth for example, if you're using 15mm copper chase to about 35mm (if possible!), wrap the pipe as you normally should do before laying it in concrete or plaster, then cover the pipe with a thin layer of plasterboard backed with aluminium foil with the shiny side facing towards the pipe, (the plasterboard should be one piece with as snug a fit as possible) then have a bonding coat put over it, plaster over it and voila! Pipes within a wall without the cracking features :LOL:

If I haven't made it clear please ask again and I'll try and explain it again better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back