Chasing for sockets and switches for rewire later

1/6th of the wall thickness - in other words 16.6 mm for a 100mm wall.
Wow, I didn't remember it being that shallow:whistle:

Bear in mind that's the brick/block but not counting the plaster.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for quick and clear answer Sparkwright! I thinking of single round conduit so there be plenty of room to pull through any variation of cable spec and I could use the cheapo chasing tool I’ve got which does a tidy job. Can I fix the round conduit with grab adhesive or does it need to be clips which would mean a deeper or wider chase? In which case I may as well do a wider but shallower chases for oval conduitBasically I want to avoid giving the electrician a nightmare to deal with. What would you prefer to see if you turned up to the job?

I often work in houses where the electrician has run the chases and glued the oval conduit in with grab adhesives. You can see where the adhesive has stuck to the conduit but not the brick work. I then have to apply a dilute coat of pva, wait for that to dry and then "lock" the conduit in to place with 2 pack filler before using a cement based filler over the top.

Oval conduit is easier to fit as it doesn't need the same depth of chase. I have a set of "nibblers" that can be used to open up a knockout to a wider slot that can take the wider sizes/ I aim for the conduit to finish between about flush and a mm or 2 into the box - and when everything is plastered nothing's going to move.
As hinted by others, you need to be aware of where the timbers are - you don't want to get everything finished and find that the end of the conduit is butted up against some timber and you can't get the cable(s) in :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back