Chasing out the floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I want to add an extra double socket. I will be running a spur from the closest socket. The only issue is the laying of the cable to the new socket. If I chase out the walls it's quite a distance. However, if I chase out the concrete floor it will be a slick job.

So my question is: Can I chase out the floor or is it against regulations?

Thanks in advance

Mick

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can chase the floor, assuming it isn't structural. There aren't any 'safe zones', as such, in the floor. As a minimum I would suggest you pull your cable in 20 or 25mm high impact plastic conduit.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can chase the floor, assuming it isn't structural. There aren't any 'safe zones', as such, in the floor. As a minimum I would suggest you pull your cable in 20 or 25mm high impact plastic conduit.

Chasing floors is bad idea.

Depends on the amount of screed between the damp proof layer and the surface. I've done it before with success, the OP's results may vary. It's a guessing game if you didn't lay the screed, as you have no idea how deep it is.

You could try grinding the floor with a grinder/diamond disc.

Sometimes the damp proof membrane is below the concrete and the screed layer is applied straight over the concrete. This layer will bond to the concrete.

Using a grinder to mark out your chase then grinding lines between the chase will cause minimal damage when taking up.

I have, my recenlty laid kitchen floor!

holmslaw

Fully bonded screeds, Unbonded screeds (the one your referring to) and floating screeds.

All the above are systems for traditional floor screeds.

You could try grinding the floor with a grinder/diamond disc.

Sometimes the damp proof membrane is below the concrete and the screed layer is applied straight over the concrete. This layer will bond to the concrete.

Using a grinder to mark out your chase then grinding lines between the chase will cause minimal damage when taking up.

I think you're doing a lot of guessing. I've never seen a ground floor screed laid straight onto concrete.

Until ground floor insulasion came into place you would have DPM, 100mm concrete then 50mm screed.

Thanks for the replies

I wanted to know if it was within regulations to chase out the floor, looks like it is :)

I understand there could be problems with the screed etc and thanks for the heads up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back