Cheap decking shims from waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building some decking on top of an existing flagged patio. I am going to put a thick weed membrane down on top of the flags before I lay the joists. I want to then raise the joists up slightly so that they are not sitting in the water when it rains. I though of getting some 40mm waste pipe and cutting it into 10mm discs to put underneath, but this will be very time consuming to cut. Does anyone know where I can get something like this pre-cut - or any other ideas to raise up the decking?

Sponsored Links
slate
quarry tiles
bricks
slabs

the list is endless!

Are you attaching it to the ground at all?

slate
quarry tiles
bricks
slabs

the list is endless!

Are you attaching it to the ground at all?

I will an anchoring it to the ground at a few points (not sure what with yet) but I want to put the joists onto something that will not be unsightly and not show too much

Not quite sure of the point of putting weed membrane down on a flagstone surface?

Sponsored Links
Not quite sure of the point of putting weed membrane down on a flagstone surface?

This is to stop the weeds that grow through the small gaps between the flags. I assume that whoever layed them did not do a proper job :(

i would put the membrane under the flags and forget the decking. you will hate the decking when you slip on it

10 mm waste pipe discs will not take the weight for long.

Use what has already been suggested, or squares cut from damp proof membrane etc.

Lou.

Yes i got that a bit wrong, I help out where there is a good question. but when it comes to decking i think its a waste of a good tree

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back