Cheap polished porcelain tiles - Preparation & advice PL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

First post here, so be gentle; I was advised to come here from the MSE boards for some expert advice.

I can't resist a bargain and bought some 60x60 polished porcelain beige tiles from B&Q for an ensuite bathroom. After reading around, they appear to be from a Chinese manufacturer and people have had many problems with staining and watermarking.

Nightmare. However, they are bought now and I can't afford replacements that would look the same.

My question is - what should I do or tell my tiler to do to prevent any problems. Should I seal them before they are laid? If so, what product should I use? Any particular grout or adhesive?

What should I use to clean them?

Any other tips to minimise stress would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any advice,

divorcingjack

Sponsored Links
lithofin do a sealer designed for porcelain. forgot what its called but you could google it

Sponsored Links
I've recently bought the same tiles - Black 60 x 60cm Porcelain floor tiles. Quick panic after reading your concerns. No indication on the boxes that these tiles were made in China.
Question: Did you lay the tiles and are they okay? I had intended to seal mine anyway before they are laid in a double garage. Are you happy with the end result - not to late to take mine back as I have only just bought them. This could be a case of cheap working out to be very dear if I'm not careful! Could be a case of 'You get what you paid for' and I don't want to take the risk. Would appreciate your feedback. Many thanks!
babi0440

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back