Cheap solution to make large windows safe in kids club

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for an inexpensive way to make 3 old sash windows (60 inches x 47 inches) safer in a rehearsal room. I am wondering if we could use some sort of acrylic to cover them so we don’t lose light but if a child was to trip and fall against one they wouldn’t go through it. I priced polycarbonate and its way out of our budget. I really don’t want to board them up! Does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Safety film applied to the inside face would hold the glass together in the event of someone falling against it but if you want to prevent access altogether then polycarb or lexan fixed infront of the window would be the answer

Suprised its out of your budget though, obviously i don't know what that is but would of thought poly carb wouldn't be a great deal

Sponsored Links
I should probably have mentioned we are on the second floor and below us is a really busy road. I need to ensure that if one of my clumsy students falls towards the window that they wont fall through.

Quote I got for Polycarbonate for the 3 windows was £480. Its probably not a huge amount but we are a small kids club and have a list of jobs we need to do to bring the building up to scratch. I was hoping we could shave a bit off of this with some creative thinking :) I did see sheets of polycarbonate for greenhouse roofs online. They arent totally clear - sort of corrugated - but I could live with that if they'd do the same thing. I just dont really know much about it to make a judgement call!

Get some hollow tube, cut to size, flaten the ends and screw them to the window frame at say 100mm gaps, won't stop the glass breaking but it'll stop the kids making an escape

Thats the cheapest solution i could come up with, as an aside what does the local authority think of said windows with regards the kids safety, maybe they'll insist on saftey glass to be fitted or at least safety film?

I'm not sure what the local authority standard is. I'll certainly check. I'm sadly watching videos of safety film demos now - I didnt know such a thing existed! Looks like it would be a good idea and as you suggest some sort of straps to prevent 'quick exits'. Thanks for the advice.

What height is the cill?

If you are running a legit business then you should be providing a suitable barrier and some film on the glass is woeful. You clearly have a duty of care.

This is the kind of attitude that sees business fail and get shut down should something happen.

The cill is about 1.5ft from the ground. I do have a duty of care and am keen to find a solution that will ensure the safety of the children.

What height is the cill?

If you are running a legit business then you should be providing a suitable barrier and some film on the glass is woeful. You clearly have a duty of care.

This is the kind of attitude that sees business fail and get shut down should something happen.

I'm puzzled by the tone of your response here FMT, vivace was after advice on the best way to secure 3 windows within a tight budget, vivace wasn't denying they have a duty of care so where do you get 'This kind of attitude' from?

Then you need a barrier that complies with Building Regs not some film on the glass. Your risk assessment will be ripped apart if something happens (assuming you even do them). You need a rigid barrier, height minimum 800mm above floor level, non climbable and with gaps no smaller than 100mm if the kids are under 5s.

What height is the cill?

I'm puzzled by the tone of your response here FMT, vivace was after advice on the best way to secure 3 windows within a tight budget, vivace wasn't denying they have a duty of care so where do you get 'This kind of attitude' from?
My attitude comes from that the OP is running a business and has a duty of care to ensure the safety of any kids under their supervision and if you think some film on a window cuts it then you're wrong. There should be a barrier to prevent them slamming into the glass, film or no film. As well as the (albeit) unlikely possibility of going through the window.

What height is the cill?

judgemental and pompous with a critical undertone containing no advice from what i could see of no use to anyone ....there is always one on every forum you visit...sure vivace appreciated it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back