Cheapest easiest DIY MAINS FLICKER LED candle/bulb?

sure, sure, I'll get one - no prob.

Now what will be the next step? I expect the volts reported from the solar panel will be far more than the 3V battery which comes with the tealight. So I need to make the source comparable I expect? If so, any recommendations about how I could achieve this? Perhaps exchange the power source for a 3V solar panel source instead? Or apply some component to the existing solar panel circuitry which limits the output to 3V?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
You say the tea light only flicker when connected to the supplied battery and not when connected to a maybe incorrect voltage source.

To be certain the tea lights will flicker you need to replicate the supply that the type of battery fitted provides. This might be possible from a stabilised voltage the same as that of the unloaded battery fed to the tea light but may also require that the tea lights are supplied via a resistor that has the some resistance as the internal resistance of the battery. If it is a standard battery then the data sheet might provide the value of the internal resistance. Otherwise you will have to find the value by measurements on the battery supplied. These measurements will require the use of a volt meter and a milli-Amp meter.

Thank you bernardgreen, I will follow this.

Now, I'm also in pursuit of a slightly alternative idea, which is buying some 3V E14 LED flicker bulbs:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/453439550/flickeringly_candle_bulbs.html

but I'm having trouble finding any search results for a mains E14 base. Ideally what I would like is some candle-like holders that I can put one or more of these bulbs in, then plug the set into the mains power. What should I search for?

We'll see which solution I come to first... E14 powered bulbs (brighter) or self powering these tealights!

I've just found the data on my solar panel:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/451722344/100_leds_Solar_fairy_light.html

Solar panel
2V,150mA,

Rechargeable battery
Ni-MH,1.2V,1000mAh,1pcs

And we know that 1 LED tealight takes a 3V CR2032 battery... so I don't quite understand... the solar powered battery is putting out 1.2V for 95 (lowest brightness) LEDS as well as constantly lighting 1 tealight. Yet the tealight alone requires 3V if running from its battery... surely the tealight with my LEDs shouldn't be getting enough power to even light properly?

Sponsored Links
surely the tealight with my LEDs shouldn't be getting enough power to even light properly?
There is enough voltage at 1.2 v ( or 2 v ) from the solar panel to power the tea light LED but not enough voltage for the flicker circuit's oscillator to start up.

Try a couple of AAA cells in place of the CR 2032.

surely the tealight with my LEDs shouldn't be getting enough power to even light properly?

Or to look at it differently, your tealight has been designed to run correctly on X volts. It doesn't run correctly on Y volts.

I wonder if you can see a connection?

Thank you bernardgreen, I will follow this.

Now, I'm also in pursuit of a slightly alternative idea, which is buying some 3V E14 LED flicker bulbs:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/453439550/flickeringly_candle_bulbs.html

but I'm having trouble finding any search results for a mains E14 base. Ideally what I would like is some candle-like holders that I can put one or more of these bulbs in, then plug the set into the mains power. What should I search for?
You want to put 3V lamps into lampholders connected to a 230V supply?

You should search for fire extinguishers, burns kits and defibrillators.

No, if I bought some 3V E14 bulbs I would like to put them into suitable holders. Hence I asked, what could I put them in that would be suitable?

Yes:

Now, I'm also in pursuit of a slightly alternative idea, which is buying some 3V E14 LED flicker bulbs...but I'm having trouble finding any search results for a mains E14 base. Ideally what I would like is some candle-like holders that I can put one or more of these bulbs in, then plug the set into the mains power.

"ideally what I would like" = suggest something that would be suitable.

Read between the lines.

And on that note, I'll be happy to hear if anyone does any any suggestions as to what I could put a 3V E14 bulb into.

Many thanks.

"ideally what I would like" = suggest something that would be suitable.
For a lamp with an E14 base?

An E14 lampholder.

Read between the lines.
I have another idea - you get better at writing questions and explaining what you want. You'll need a bit more understanding of basic electrical theory first though.

And on that note, I'll be happy to hear if anyone does any any suggestions as to what I could put a 3V E14 bulb into.
An E14 lampholder connected to a 3V supply.

Why is that so hard for you to understand?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back