Cheapest & easiest way to run a cable in garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm going to have a bit of a party as summer approaches, and need to run about 100m of cable down to the garden to provide the marquee with power.

I suspect we'll have a speaker system (nothing huuuge), some lights and possibly an electric heater (although the latter is not a necessity if it's likely to overload it...).

What's the most cost effective, safest and easiest way to do this?

What "core" do I need, and should I use one of those big industrial socket things (the blue ones with the waterproof flaps) or am I safe just putting 100m of cable onto a plug and plugging in a gangway?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help :D

Sponsored Links
You could use industrial 240 volt 30 amp leads hired from a hire shop.

You would then need to make up a 13 amp plug ( with built in RCD if you don't have RCD protected sockets ) with a short lead to a socket to match the industrial lead. At the marque end have a multiway adaptor wired to a plug to match the industrial lead if the hire shop cannot provide such.

Using a 30 amp lead for the 100 metres will keep the voltage drop low.

If it is going to going on late after dark consider emergency lighting as a marquee suddenly plunged into darkness by a tripped RCD or blown fuse can become a very hazardous place. NOT oil lamps or candles......

Would it not be cheaper, easier and safer to hire a generator for a day?

Sponsored Links
Hmm, maybe not 100m, probably more like 70-80 actually - well, it's about 100m long since you ask...

Hiring a generator seems a little excessive to power some speakers and a light or two! Perhaps I gave the wrong impression about the size of the party - just a few mates in a fairly small marquee with some tunes.

Bernardgreen, thanks a lot for your help. Having had a look around, simply getting a big reel of cable seems like a good idea - this sort of thing http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=15712&ts=43657.

Sorry for the silly questions!

harveyc said:
Bernardgreen, thanks a lot for your help. Having had a look around, simply getting a big reel of cable seems like a good idea - this sort of thing http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=15712&ts=43657.

Sorry for the silly questions!

Did you even read Bernardgreens' post? He clearly states the need for an industrial cable. Due to the distance involved voltage drop will become excessive with a standard 13A reel, especially since you'll need 2 plugged into each other to make up the distance required.

Okay, thanks, I'll keep that in mind and look for something of at least 30A.

The two extention leads you linked to would cost you £40 (and are not suitable for the job), or alternativly you could buy this little generator from Ebay for £35.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
i was actually being serious.

you dont want some joker having a p in the dark corner do you?

also you could opt for flame torches (ive got those too)

tiki torches.. just be aware that alcohol+fire+tent=6 monthe in a burn unit.. or eternity in a little metal urn...

I do like those stone lights though.. i'll be off to argos first thing to get me some... ta...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back