What's the easiest way of running this cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get a wire from A to B for external light.

I would like to know, what is the easiest way to run this cable?

I am hoping that I do not have to take off the upvc fascia/soffit.

Attachments

• IMG_20230318_160925711_HDR~4.jpg
    IMG_20230318_160925711_HDR~4.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 129
Sponsored Links
What's the interior like?

Edit: Sorry, your post wasn't there when I started typing. I can fall asleep mid-post!

Sponsored Links
You've got render on the outside?

Are they PIR controlled lights?

How are you going to switch them?

How are you going to pick up a supply?

WHERE is the nearest source of supply?

I think you have to tell your missus that you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

If the inside is a painted finish it'll be alot easier repairing that than the rendered finish

You've got render on the outside?

Are they PIR controlled lights?

How are you going to switch them?

How are you going to pick up a supply?

WHERE is the nearest source of supply?

I think you have to tell your missus that you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.
It's a thin/smooth sand/cement render

Not Pir lights.

There is a switch directly behind the lamp at position A. The switch has a neutral and power at the switch.

Lamp A already has power. I just need to get a cable from Lamp A to lamp B

If the inside is a painted finish it'll be alot easier repairing that than the rendered finish
Really.

I thought I'd have to make a small chase. Place conduit/wire in said chase.

Then slap on some 5 to 1 sand/cement to fill the chase and paint over.

do you have access to the space in the roof above the window?
Externally, no as it is finished with GRP

Internally it's a standard plasterboard finish with rigid insulation tightly packed next to the plasterboard.

If damaging/repairing the external render is permitted then chase up from light A & B to the soffit, fish cable up from light A through soffit and down to light B and repair the render. Fishing the cable through the soffit might not be possible it'll depend on how its been fixed, you wont know until you try. Good luck!

Personally I'd run some galv conduit up and over the door and change the lights for some that look more industrial, done well it'll look mint.

Wire up light A. Tell the mrs that you sorted it. When she tries it and tells you light B isn't working tell her the bulb must have blown and you’ll sort it at the weekend ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back