What is the easiest way to move a light switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you tell me the easiest way to move a light switch? I have a light switch, slap bang in the middle of a wall. I want to move it a couple of feet to the right but am unsure of the easiest way of doing this. Can I extend the wiring or do I have to rewire from the light fitting? Oh, and it's a two way.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sadly, it's 99.99% certain that you can't extend the wiring, as:

a) unless you use crimps the junction box that you use must be accessible, and I guess you want to fill in the hole where the switch was and decorate over it

b) you would then have cable running in an "L" shape in the wall, which is not allowed (unless it's more than 50mm deep, or enclosed in earthed metal conduit or trunking, neither of which are probably true in your case?)

4.14b.gif

see also http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/concealedcables.pdf

So, are you saying that I need to get under the upstairs floor and run a new cable down the wall vertically to the new switch?

Sponsored Links
Ok. I can do that. Thanks for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it.

if you don't mind a blanking plate then its ok to replace the lightswitch with a blanking plate (and terminal block behind) and run horixontally to a new switch

ban-all-sheds said:
Sadly, it's 99.99% certain that you can't extend the wiring, as:

a) unless you use crimps the junction box that you use must be accessible, and I guess you want to fill in the hole where the switch was and decorate over it

b) you would then have cable running in an "L" shape in the wall, which is not allowed (unless it's more than 50mm deep, or enclosed in earthed metal conduit or trunking, neither of which are probably true in your case?)

Plug PLEASE READ WHAT HAS COME BEFORE YOU....

* Post deleted. Posted in someone else’s thread. Moved to a thread of its own.

Last edited:
you would then have cable running in an "L" shape in the wall, which is not allowed
If L shape cabling is not allowed, how are ring mains installed?
Surely the usual arrangement for ring mains is to have the first socket in a room connected via a vertical drop and then subsequent sockets in that room connected to each other by horizontal runs of cable, with a vertical cable running up the wall from the last socket in the room. I know sloping cables are not allowed but I thought horizontal and vertical cables were OK.
Or have I got this all wrong?

In your example there‘s a back box and accessory at the point where the cables change direction. That’s the difference.

It’s much more common to drop back down into the floor void from each socket though.

I realise the age of this thread but I actually have a question in relation to this.
I have a light switch on a wall behind a door which I would like to change to the opposite wall and side of the door.
I'm happy to leave a blanking plate in place of the existing switch and use wagos.
The wall is constructed from lime + lath on timber verticals.
How would a spark make a run for the new switch with minimal disturbance to the walls themselves?

Attachments

• dooragainstwall.jpg
    dooragainstwall.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 8
I can't get access from above but I could go from below and lift the carpet there. Putting a carpet back as it was before though is definitely not within my remit haha

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back