Cheapest feasible way of building a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I've moved into a rented property and got a severely reduced rental price with the provision that I'm doing some improvements to the house. Suits me fine! Already started on the inside of the house, paiting, papering and so on. But the most important part to me is the garage.

At the moment there is a 12'x18' garage on a fairly thick (200mm at a guess) foundation. It's wooden and the years have not been kind to it. The bottom has started to rot and I think a swift kick to the timber frame would put a substantial hole in the side of the garage.

As it's a rented property, I want to keep the costs down as much as possible. So what's the cheapest way possible that I could make a stone garage? I will be doing the work myself and have already checked locally for prefab sections and haven't found anything. I was thinking breezeblocks? But I imagine there is a cheaper way?

Sponsored Links
If you can get any second hand corrugated iron (wriggly tin) use two layers of that with fertiliser bags between the layers to keep the rain out.

Or clad it with OSB / shuttering ply then paint or render over expanding metal lath.

If you can get any second hand corrugated iron (wriggly tin) use two layers of that with fertiliser bags between the layers to keep the rain out.

Or clad it with OSB / shuttering ply then paint or render over expanding metal lath.

So you mean make the whole thing from corrugated metal? The current roof that's on it is made from that.

What do you mean by the last section? Sorry, kind of new to the building side of things. Do you mean do the corrugated idea, then cover it in external grade ply with metal mesh over it?

Why not buy a secondhand sectional concrete garage from Ebay, you can get them from £1 I know cos I bought one!!!!!

Sponsored Links
my thoughts

assuming you don't have a clear and comprehensive understanding
speak to the landlord and find out what improvement he thinks your doing in return for your reduced rent ??
also broach the subject off the state off garage without divulging your plans
if he doesn't give you a helpful answer tell him what your planning as he may expect a repair or replacement to a higher standard than you think
i would hate you to waste time and effort to end up with an dispute

Can you repair what's there already? I've seen wooden sheds/garages that weren't even fit for a bonfire turned into fantastic usable buildings. All it takes is a bundle of new timber and a bag of nails :D

Why not buy a secondhand sectional concrete garage from Ebay, you can get them from £1 I know cos I bought one!!!!!

I had a look and couldn't find any locally. Collection is a bit of an issue as well for me as I ride a motorbike.

So you mean make the whole thing from corrugated metal? The current roof that's on it is made from that.

What do you mean by the last section? Sorry, kind of new to the building side of things. Do you mean do the corrugated idea, then cover it in external grade ply with metal mesh over it?

No. Either corrugated, or wood. You can use holey corrugated if you use two layers with plastic in between.

If you use ply or OSD you can paint it, or render over it using metal lath (or chicken wire stapled on) as a key.

No. Either corrugated, or wood. You can use holey corrugated if you use two layers with plastic in between.

If you use ply or OSD you can paint it, or render over it using metal lath (or chicken wire stapled on) as a key.
Some great spelling there Owen.
Auto-correct?

Why can't the bod's at Apple find software that deals with acronyms? :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back