Cheapest form of aggregate for hard standing area?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone im new to the forum.

I am looking to put a little hardstanding down for the horses this Winter, the area is around 12 metres x 7 metres.

What is the cheapest form of aggregate to do the job please?

Doesnt have to look posh, fancy, etc... just somewhere dry and hard standing for the horses so they are not slopping around the field in mud.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Quarry dust, I would guess.
It's normally classed as 4mm particles down to zero, but you ought to see it first 'cos it might have sharp particles, although at that size it's not likely to bother the horses.

I've seen it advertised at about £5 per tonne (I paid 11 Euros per tonne in France) and at about 100mm depth you'd need about 8.5 cubic metres, which I would guess is about 6 tonnes.

Normally it's compacted after laying.

Quarry dust, I would guess.
It's normally classed as 4mm particles down to zero, but you ought to see it first 'cos it might have sharp particles, although at that size it's not likely to bother the horses.

I've seen it advertised at about £5 per tonne (I paid 11 Euros per tonne in France) and at about 100mm depth you'd need about 8.5 cubic metres, which I would guess is about 6 tonnes.

Normally it's compacted after laying.

Thanks RH2.

If it was dust though, i.e. 4mm particles, would it not just eventually get worn down?

Thanks again.

You wouldn't normally use it as a finished surface.
Usually it's used under concrete or slabs, for example, in the hardcore.

If you laid a membrane down before laying it, it should wear well for a few years, although it's bound to spread, and you could always, say rake it and compact it again.

The membrane does two purposes, it prevents it mixing with the soil and should also prevent weeds growing through it.

I don't think even the weight of the horses will wear it down much.

Find a local quarry, see if they sell it, go look at it and talk to them.

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't normally use it as a finished surface.
Usually it's used under concrete or slabs, for example, in the hardcore.

If you laid a membrane down before laying it, it should wear well for a few years, although it's bound to spread, and you could always, say rake it and compact it again.

The membrane does two purposes, it prevents it mixing with the soil and should also prevent weeds growing through it.

I don't think even the weight of the horses will wear it down much.

Find a local quarry, see if they sell it, go look at it and talk to them.

Thanks a lot for that.

I really appreciate it.

Got a load of membrane so that isn't a problem.

Thanks again for your help.

Quarry Hardcore or "Road Metal" would be the stuff compacted with a wacker plate. guess some one with technical names will be along soon.

Do your self a favour and your horses, get approx 20 to 40 tonnes of Mot Type 1. Spread it approx 4 to 6 inches and then give it a roll or run a vehicle across a few times to harden it down, the water should run of it Ok and it wont slop all over the place, you can use crusher run also or 6f5 recycled stone is just as good as first class stone and much cheaper to buy by the tonne approx between £12.00 to £15.00 per tonne depending on where your area is, should last a bit anyway, have it tipped up and use the tractor and loader to move it, I wouldn`t tell you to use the wheel barrow as you could be out there quite some time. :D

terram it first gorund sheeting then use tar planeings i can get it at 30/40tones for £30 a load use it all the time rake it over roller it or wacker 4ins thick will do it
if you can get a digger that will help you out no end
digging out moving stone and leveling and compacting it

and best to contain it within somesort of framework, whether it be wooden shuttering, brickwork or just a plain old hole dug in the ground.that way you will be able to compact it without it spreading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back