Cheapest way to fill potholes

Again, totally makes sense..........but I was really hoping not to do that and opt for the old, 'bodge' job.....:)

You just need a mini grinder tool to do the job, should be able to rent one for a few quid, or if you are not confident ask a jobber to do the whole thing. As it's not a private road and you share it best to get your neighbours involved and opt for a proper job as scbk mentions.

Sponsored Links
I don't think the tractors will cause potholes, but there's one section where it looks like the whole side has sunk 3" for a couple of metres, heavy vehicles and poor foundations have probably led to that.

The lane has been in use for 150+ years. I don't know exactly when it was finished, I'd say the 70-80's maybe. If it's sunk over 30-40 years then it's not doing bad considering.

No point doing a complete bodge, with 3 houses it won't last long at all.
I have a 2 driveways, one that uses the lan and the other directly off the main street. In a few years I won't be using this lane anymore but I do need to make it 'less bumpy' for prospective buyers of my house.

The budget option might be a local general builder/contractor supplying a ton or 2 of hot tar. The cold tar in plastic bags is quite expensive.
That's a consideration but as other have said, for this it'll need to be prepped correctly and I only wanted to tackle 1 hole at a time so the lane can still be in use. I can't block off traffic to the other properties whilst I do any repairs.

Will the other people who use the track contribute time or money?
There has already been mention of clubbing together to repair the lane but beyond the part I use is really bad. I've already told my neighbours that I'm not paying a quarter of a lane that's twice a long as you see in the photo and part which I don't use. My reasoning is that we all pay a quarter for the first section, then the my direct neighbours pays a third for the rest up to his property, then the last house pays half up to his then the farmer pays the rest. Trouble is, the last neighbour says 'get on with it' and he'll pay us after but then I doubt we'd get the money plus the farmer wouldn't be interested in contributing because he'll argue he only uses it twice a year - so that leave me and my direct neighbour who've both said we'll do the bare minimum to plug the holes.

The road should have been adopted but, funnily enough, the council have lost all correspondence regarding this and the land registry don't have any registered owner of it. My guess is that it's the farmer (4th generation) that owns it and he doesn't want to pay for it because he doesn't need the same standard of finish that us car drivers do. I'm sure if I put in for possessor title then someone would raise there head but if not I don't want title when I'm selling my house and building next door - hence the reason I just want a cheap fix that doesn't have to go the distance!

You don't have to close the road. Clean out the holes with a pinch bar, take the sides back so they're shaped more like a "cliff face" than a "sandy beach" if you get my drift. Remove loose material from the bottom of the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back