Cheapest way to finish blocks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

What is the cheapest way to finish the block walls of an outbuilding?

I was going to use timber cladding, but as it will be 0.6m from the boundary, it has to be non combustible. I priced this up at around £1400.

I considered render, but after being quoted 1k to have a 10sqm ceiling skimmed i think having 50sqm of wall rendered will cost a fortune. I can plaster but have never rendered.

Can the timber cladding be made non combustible easily, or what would be the cheapest alternative to finish the walls?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can buy a flame retardent coating for wood that you brush on, you'll need to check if this is acceptable to your building inspector

I was hoping to avoid building control thats why i want it non combustible.

Paint is a good idea, however i wanted to hide the block appearance. This could be a good back up option though.

Sponsored Links
Cement cladding like cedral. I don't think particularly cheap but maintenance free etc. If you can only see the front then as said the back and sides could be neatly pointed and painted.

1k to skim a 10m ceiling is a tiss pake
I thought that. Skimmed it myself in the end. Didnt bother getting any more quotes i assumed that was the price of plastering these days. I might get some quotes for the rendering.

Nah, it’s about 300-400 round here. Or less if it’s literally 10m and an easy in out job

If BC is not involved why are you concerned about it being combustible? People put wooden sheds near the boundary...

Render it yourself. Rendering is easy enough, it's making it not look ****e that's the skilled part.
If it's on a boundary then you won't have to look at it afterwards.

Slap it on!

If BC is not involved why are you concerned about it being combustible? People put wooden sheds near the boundary...
That's fine if they are less than 15sqm, however if they are over 15sqm they attract building control.
One way around that is to make the external walls non combustible and keep it below 30sqm instead, which I assume is what the op is after

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back