checkatrade builders doing electrical work not qualified

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently used a builder I found on checkatrade to refurbish bathroom.

I had been advised that electrical work should be done by a part P registered electrician and on his checkatrade page he cited a NAPIT electrician which seemed to satisfy the requirement. In fact, he did the work himself and when we asked him after the work was done whether he was Part P registered he said no. The work was putting in downlights, an airfilter and a shower pump. A previous customer feedback had warned that the tradesman was not qualified to do electrical work but the trader's reply on the website gave out the idea that he had been rather pressed in to doing the work by someone who 'in his opinion' knew that he was not qualified 'at the time'. Sitting alongside lots of high scoring feedback and it being 3 years previously I dismissed the single negative.
Warned that the work was uncertified work could produce problems with insurance and when you come to sell we soon found that the only way to get this down was by going to Building Control. They found 5 faults. Checkatrade means very little in terms of standards.

Sponsored Links
Checkatrade means very little in terms of standards.

Ye. Don't know why people bother.

Builders' attempts at plumbing are often laughable. Know of one who only uses compression joints. Looks very untidy.

Builders' attempts at electrics are often very scary. Had one where a builder put in a new bathroom with electric shower few years ago. Shower wasn't earthed. Customer had been using it for 5 years! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Recently used a builder I found on checkatrade to refurbish bathroom.

. A previous customer feedback had warned that the tradesman was not qualified to do electrical work. Checkatrade means very little in terms of standards.

You were forewarned, what more can Checkatrade do?

I have just applied to join Checkatrade and the first thing they require of me is:-

1. Provide us with up to 10 previous customer details, work completed within the last 6 months, please do this before your interview by following this link
http://www.checkatrade.com/FeedbackRequests/Requests.aspx?Company_ID=179829
Then please ensure you have the following at the appointment

2. Photocopies of the following
Current Public Liability Insurance Schedule � This should detail your name/company name, policy number, expiry date, company insuring and the amount you are covered for. Please note this is separate to your Employers Liability Certificate.
2 household bills/statements dated within the last 3 months (not required for Ltd companies)
Photo ID Driving Licence Card or Passport
A letter or document from the HMRC confirming your Unique Tax Reference (UTR) number
VAT registration details
If applicable-Copies of qualification certificates (e.g. City & Guilds) or membership of schemes (e.g. Buy With Confidence).
If a Limited Company-Certificate of Incorporation
If applicable-Current Employers Liability Insurance
If applicable-Any relevant necessary qualifications for your trade (Gas Safe, NICEIC etc.)

Notice the word "INTERVIEW" Yes, they even come to your home and it took an hour and a half to interview me. And yes, they were selling their product at the same time and wanted my £598.80.
But, they did see me. Its not like it was all done over the phone and I could have been anyone applying.

And who in there right mind is going to pay £598.80 to join and do jobs badly that they get bad feedback, and not get more work, or kicked out of checkatrade?

It looks to me they are doing their best. They certainly do more security checks than the few other similar companies offering this consumer service.

But at the end of the day, customers still have to make their own choice and not take anything on face value.

You should see this wall built by a plumber....lol. Honestly a kid could've done better.....ha.

And a bit of pointing....couple of metres of weatherstruck...done by a gas fitter....omg what a joke.

Then the other day i came across a patio laid by an electrician. Bright spark he was....laid it dead flat. No falls or nothing. Derrrrrrr !

You have to laugh....lol

You should see this wall built by a plumber....lol. Honestly a kid could've done better.....ha.

And a bit of pointing....couple of metres of weatherstruck...done by a gas fitter....omg what a joke.

Then the other day i came across a patio laid by an electrician. Bright spark he was....laid it dead flat. No falls or nothing. Derrrrrrr !

You have to laugh....lol

Has any of that got anything to do with the thread which relates to a Checkatrade members as mentioned in original posting?

Sponsored Links
Back