Checking a quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right place to post but wanted to sense check a quote I have had. We currently have a backbolier and old cylinder in an old Victorian house, I have been quoted on installing a Worcester Bosch 24i system boiler and 210l megaflo unvented cylinder and resiting into the loft, as well as supplying and fitting one radiator.
All pipework, venting, removal of old system etc is being done, the guy is WB registered so I get a 5 yr warranty and it comes to £5.5k, is this about right? He seems a good guy and I think i am going to give him the order but wanted to check first, let me know if this isn't the right place, thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, don't bully the newbie! I think that the system looks right from googling stuff, I have a 3 bed 1 bath and 2 toilet house right now, but plan to extend and have 4 bed 2 bath and 3 toilet house, I think this will work, but wanted to know if the quote sounded right. I just got another one back for £100 more and am awaiting another so I will likley be able to tell from that spread. I guess then all I need to know is the WB and megaflo any good? My guess is there isn't much in it, but scared about spending the last of my money!

Sponsored Links
I know, and thank you, I am only playing - I have a couple more quotes coming in but as I said just a little scared payting out this kind of money, although at the moemnet it appears to be about right.

Can't comment on cost as has been said we haven't seen the job......just a couple of queries tho....has your inlet mains been checked for pressure and flow rates, standing and dynamic?? Even a megaflo would struggle to fill 2 baths at the same time as well as run hot water elsewhere if these are not upto scratch (minimum 25/22mm in.)

plus will you need special reinforcement to site the megaflo in your loft??? It will weigh a over 220kg when full close to 40 stone!

I wouldnt get a WB, he's recomending them because he's registered with them, vaillant are far superia in my opinion, i go to a lot of the WB greenstar range that have pin holed, due to their poor design and build quality, they are an expensive boiler, made from cheap ****e, but have a good name because of their older boilers, in 10 years everyone will hate them

P.S. Powell its more like 36 stone, still need good support though ;)

@ Powell and Ollie

If you want to stick to Imperial, it's normal to switch to hundredweight ( 1 cwt= 112 lbs = 8 stone ) when you get into bigger numbers. Stones for people, cwt for big lumps :)

I'd agree with Ollie, get a Vaillant rather than a WB. From there you can either look at Vaillant's own fully-integrated unvented cylinder, or something else - Megaflo cylinders are not the only type of unvented cylinder, they are however amongst the most expensive. I prefer OSO Super S cylinders for a variety of reasons I'm not going to list here, but that are available elsewhere on this site if the search facility decides to work properly

Thanks for this, I am waiting for a quote of a vaillant guy, unfortunately he came round to quote and then went and got married and is away for three weeks so I'll have to wait! He was also talking about getting the Vaillant cylinder which is ready for solar power if we ever go that route in the future, apparently only £100 more. I'll wait and see what he's got to say.

fwiw - yeah, sounds about right ££.

Thoughts
Worcester - only if you have it serviced every year do you keep the warranty. MOst people don't. They're OK boilers, nothing special.

Megaflow type cylinder in a loft - only if you have a fat mains supply pipe & good pressure.

Interesting point on the solar option - do you ever really think you'll go that way? If not it's a waste of £100 to get the extra coil. Why might you want solar? It's very expensive to install, payback time is many many years, if it ever pays back at all. Having said that you could link both coils into your heating and do something fancy with some controls...

IMO the extra coil is worth it, you never know what the future holds. also the extra absorption rate may let you run the boiler cooler making the boiler run slightly more efficient saving the £100+ over its lift time.

also you may connected up a different heat source other then solar....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back