Checking Kitchen Appliance Ratings - Safe or Not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, newbie here!

Having a new kitchen installed fairly soon and wanted to run a bit of info by you.

Going for a Neff Single oven, model B1322, rated @ 2800W.

Neff Ceramic hob, model T1213, rated @ 6600W.

By my maths, I=P/V therefore the oven is 2800/240 = 11.66A and the hob is 6600/240 = 27.5A... at the moment i have an all-in-one unit that just runs off the 30A thick cable from the fuse box but going for the new setup, im assuming the hob will have to run off the 30A cable out of the wall and the oven can run on a regular wall socket rated at 13A?

Please give me your thoughts, if i have to have another cable run from the fuse box we're talking mega bucks as its a fair way away :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
You are correct. New oven can run off a regular 13A socket
Hob can be connected to the existing 30A cooker circuit.

The oven should have it's own dedicated 13A socket on a radial circuit from your consumer unit.

It should not be plugged into a socket on the general ring final circuit in the kitchen.

2800W is less than 13A.

Now, I know the new regs recommend that appliances of more than 2000W should be on their own circuit.
That para is guidance on how to reduce loads on a ring and not an absolute rule.

Sponsored Links
It certainly goes a long way to ensuring compliance with 433.1.5 though :)

By my maths, I=P/V therefore the oven is 2800/240 = 11.66A and the hob is 6600/240 = 27.5A... at the moment i have an all-in-one unit that just runs off the 30A thick cable from the fuse box but going for the new setup, im assuming the hob will have to run off the 30A cable out of the wall and the oven can run on a regular wall socket rated at 13A?
Your maths are correct but just to confuse you, although you may well have 240volts we now use the UK's nominal voltage for calculations which is 230Volts.

If you're a rich git, you'll be able to afford the money it will take to install new circuits back to the board, won't you? ;)

So using 230v it's 12.17A ;)

No...

If the oven is considered as a resistive load,
And it is rated at 2800 Watts at 240 Volts,
If the supply voltage is reduced to 230 Volts,
Then the power consumption will be 2800 Watts X ((230/240)^2) = 2571 Watts.
which is 11.18 Amps.

Its the resistance of the load that remains constant, not the power consumption.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back