checking the quality of fit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all-i am soon to have all new windows and doors fitted by a guy who does this for a living but is doing it for me out of hours so to speak!-i am applying for the fensa cert myself however i have read that the most important aspect of new windows is the quality of the installation,all the windows and doors are upvc made by kommerling and i am led to believe they are one of the top makes of windows available-i just wonder what the fitter could possibly do wrong that i should look out for-ps the importance of sound proofing is high as a busy road runs along the back of my house-any info would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
ps i forgot to add-is it considered acceptable to fit windows with expanding foam?? or is it important thet are screwed in?

Expanding foam are only for filling gaps and screws are for holding the windows in.

Sponsored Links
Hi kitch

Would take to long list all the things that could potential go wrong and what to watch out for.

Kommerling profile is one of the better ones although there is not a great deal of difference these days.

Correct installation is very important,most problems caused by bad fitting rather than bad windows.

I assume the guy is doing this a "foreigner" so not much of guarantee should anything go wrong.Insurance backed guarantee is better most company guarantees not worth the paper there written on.

You need Building Regs Approval not Fensa.

Masona is right,foam should only be used for filling gaps, windows and especially doors should be screw fixed.

Why the query over the foam?

I am sure everything will be O.K. :)

hi kevash-thanks for a usefull reply! only wondered about the foam as im told thats what a lot of fitters use nowadays!-i went to the council office and asked what i needed to do and wasnt informed that i would need building regs approval,they did tell me what to do about fensa though so thats ok-if i am replacing like for like do i still need approval?-the guy doing it did my neighbours house and all he did was get the fensa cert-no building reg approval-you got me wondering now!!!

HI Kitch

Any fitter using foam to secure windows & doors is not a good fitter,foam is excellent stuff when used for what it is designed for filling gaps.

Lots of rules & regs regarding replacement windows but basically

must have Low Emissivity glass (k or similar)

Designs can be like for like,better, but not worse

safety glass where required ie:Doors and anything below 800mm

Took this from the fensa website:

"Any installation done by a firm which is not registered to self-certify, or done as a DIY project by a householder, will need full local authority approval under the Building Regulations."

Also look at item 12 http://www.labc-services.co.uk/buildingregs/default.asp?editorial_id=14512

hope this helps :)

would agree windows should be screwed in ,unfortunately expanding foam is pretty much the industry standard now though.

Hope this helps. ;)

expanding foam should only be used to fill in the gaps between the window frame and the brickwork. Windows should be manufactured 10mm smaller than the brickwork opening size to give a 5mm clearance around the frame when fitted. This 5mm gap allows for expansion of the frame during change in climate. The frame is then held into position with plastic packers whilst the frame is drilled and bolted into the brickwork with window anchors (which are basically larges screws and wall-plugs about 5-6 inches in length).
Only then should the expansion foam be used to fill any voids. To finish off, the fitter should use a suitable silicone to 'point' around the window where it meets the brickwork. This seals the gap and gives a clean and even finish to the window.

I've seen quite a few windows that have been fitted without any window anchors. They look well fitted until a hurricane gale decides it wants to rip out your glazed window frame and throw it onto the roof of your car...........And they aren't exactly lightweight when glazed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back